Chapter 7

“ So this guy can breathe underwater?” Grace said as we walked along the Jersey Boardwalk.

“Yep, using his own ability against him” Maria said walking onto the dock that extends out onto the ocean.

“So where is this thing exactly?” I said taking a pair of binoculars and looking out.

“I do not know the correct, latitude and longitude of the dang thing, just the area of where it is.” she said.

“Well then” I acted offended. She shoved me, and I laughed.

“So, when’s this boat supposed to be here?” Grace said peeved by how Maria, and I acted. Was that supposed to be jealousy?

“Uhm here it is right now” Maria said as a boat pulled up next to us.

“This is a boat?” I said to the man tying it up to the dock. It was small, very small.

“Hey, she may be small but she is one of the fastest boats in this part of Jersey” he said handing Maria the keys as she handed him the money.

“He calls it a ‘she’” I whispered into Grace’s ear and she giggled. We got on board, and Maria began to drive off.

“How far?” Grace said seated next to me, over the roar of the water.

“It supposedly takes 2 hours, but in this bad boy, I would say no more than an hour” she yelled back to Grace. I looked out at the ocean, one thing I did not know how to do was swim.  My mom attempted to teach me when I was 5 but I was hopeless, I couldn’t even doggy paddle. I looked over at Grace who was admiring the beauty of the ocean. Her beautiful red hair was pulled back into a tight ponytail, and she had on white flip flops, a flower top, and white short shorts.  She turned to me and saw me looking at her.

“What?” she half smiled half laughed looking right into my eyes.

“You’re just beautiful in the sunlight” I said awkwardly. Beautiful in the sunlight was I serious? I felt my face flood a bright red after realizing how stupid I sounded.

“Only in the sunlight” she said getting a little closer releasing one of her cute little laughs.

“I... I think you’re beautiful all the time” I said getting lost in her brown eyes.  I leaned forward and so did she and our lips were slowly beginning to meet each other once more. Right as they were about to touch the boat jerked and I bounced in my seat, water splashing on me but more on to Grace.

“Sorry guys hit a little speed bump” Maria said. From the side of her face I could see a smirk played across it. Had she done that purposely? Was she jealous? Did she like me? I am confused enough with one girl, but now I have to deal with two. Just wonderful.