28. Ocean

I dreamed of the ocean.

I'm not swimming for leisure. I'm diving headfirst into the water. The water is cold, but I adjust and soon can't feel the temperature at all.

My long muscular arms paddle towards a route someone higher than me mapped. I follow the directions perfectly, of course.

Oxygen is not necessary. I don't think it ever was because I can stay submerged for as long as I want, but there are things to do and people to protect. I can play in the water another time. I don't want to disappoint anyone. They trust me, and I can't let them down.

Be careful, Red. I'm not sure how many are down there. The scanner is detecting a boatload. Your mission is simple, scout the fire zone, and we'll take it from there. By no means are you to engage. We haven't tested you for fieldwork, and I'm not sure what you're capable of, Red. Listen to me, please.

"Rodger."

To the bottom of a trench, patched in urchins and crabs and moss and palsy blue and white coral, to grubs that glow because they are the only form of light, I finally speak, "This is the place. I'm setting up a perimeter. I'm ready to start, sir."

The young man on my right he's quiet and worried. He thinks there's a better solution, but we don't have time. I've seen what they can do, and their numbers are growing. The main issue is they're too close to land. If they continue their journey, city infestation by sunrise is plausible. Civilians will panic. They'd panic if they knew about us too. Bad and not acceptable.

I swore I would do my job and keep the city safe. No one is going to get hurt while I'm here.

"Move!"

Alert, alert! There's activity on the ocean floor! An inner voice warns.

The ground quakes, and the depths collapse in on themselves. Some are waking. We came too late.

"Don't let them escape! Hold your ground! Call Number One! Let him know..."

I can't move. I'm sinking.

As I go for my sword on my back, the creature claws my back and spine, biting hard, and my world is black. It grapples my arms and legs; tentacles snake, attempting to rip me apart. Shock and cold water fill my lungs.

The pressure builds, and I can't find my equilibrium. I can't adapt to the depth fast enough. I panic, frailing my body, banging my head against the black mass constricting me.

"Twelve, Twelve! Keep breathing! I'm going to fire but keep breathing, son!" says a new voice. In an image, a long spindle-like body whirls in the water. Lightning flashes stunning both the creature and me.

The lighting creature yells, "Bubble him in! He's getting away!"

My fingers tremor and long claws become my hands.

The monster and I sink endlessly.