7. Lou

"Stop barking, Lou!" The dumb dog won't stop crying her lungs out. "You're starting to get on my nerves...more than usual. Why don't you go play or do whatever dogs do elsewhere."

I toss my shoe at her, hoping Lou thinks it's a fun new toy. Instead, she plucks it by her teeth and drops it into the trashcan. She's not as barbaric as she looks. Grandpa taught her that nifty trick, I'm sure.

"Come on, Lou, I have to wear that! Germs do exist! Fungus is real! Who knows what you're exposing my shoe to!"

Lou returns to the kitchen table, sits in a chair, and howls. She howls like she hates me and has nothing to do. Unbelievable, simply, aggravatingly impossible.

Anaya has been gone all night. She said she would be home around nine. It's not like I was going to argue. She's grown and can do and go wherever she wants, but really, Anaya. How could you leave your brother home, alone in a house, in the woods with a dog that hates my guts? Anaya could have taken Lou with her. That would have made my night a smidge more enjoyable.

Lou howls. "Okay, okay! I'm getting up. You win."

I take my shoe out of the trashcan.

Irritated, I go over Grandpa's checklist of things Lou needs to function: fed her special kibble that weighed a ton to pour into her dish. Lou ate the spilled droppings around her doggy bowl I missed. I gave her something to drink. I brushed her messy yellow fur and tossed her house ball a few times. We stopped playing when I accidentally threw the ball at the far kitchen window and broke it. I dusted the glass bits under the refrigerator and placed a tall plant in front of the window. Lou hasn't stopped glaring at me since.

"What else do you want?! What more do you want from me?!" I yell. I have things to do, and fixing Mom's toaster is too important. I told Mom the toaster would work better, so it has to be better. It has to, and Anaya and Grandpa won't believe in me until I do this. I need this win dog."

I instantly wish I was home in Eugenes in my laboratory, working on my latest invention, a watch charger. That's the kind of invention that would impress Anaya. I initially made it for her.

Check this, your phone died, and it's only fourth period. A catastrophe! Poor John Doe can't text his friends or see the latest video trending on the internet because kids spend too much time on their phones. Wall plugs, forget it. (theme music) Your watch has a built-in charger. The watch charger requires direct sunlight to recharge. Yes, good old solar technology. Easy make. Then I'll sell my charger to the world and get invited to tech conventions; of course, Apple will ask to sponsor me, but I'll draw out a lengthy contract and make them wait, tv time with Jonny Carson because he'll want to meet me. Anaya will be so proud of me for once and—

Lou howls again.

"Dog, what do you want?! Can't you see I'm busy changing the world? I need to stay focused. I'm so close to, to, to—I don't know, but I know something good will happen tonight."

As if answering my question, Lou runs out of the kitchen. Leash in her muzzle, she returns, tail wagging and gaping at me.

"Uhhh," I remember. Grandpa said she needed to go on a walk.

It's ten. Late, but if I make it quick, Lou will leave me alone and stop making my life a living hell. "Dog, let's go! Fine, you win, but leave me alone after this. Okay?"

Dumb Lou drops her leash at my feet and lifts her head, rolling her eyes, waiting for me to catch on. She arches her neck, and I see her collar peeking out from under her long fur.

I hook on her leash, and we go outside.

"Stay by me!" Lou tugs on her leash, smelling the wraparound porch, the steps, and the gravel in the front of the house. "Are you done yet?"