5. Party

I sigh, readjusting the ice bag on my ankle. The ice bag is wet, and I curse because the water is dripping on the bed coverings. I use my sock and soak up as much water as possible from the blanket without getting out of bed. Thankfully I gave up on lathering my foot in honey. I would have made more of a mess.

"Come on, Anayaaaa..." Tris cries on the phone line. I draw the phone from my sensitive ear. The ice bag on my ankle rolls and falls to the floor because I moved. I yell at no one. I crawl to the edge of the bed on my stomach and recover the ice bag. I carefully position it on my ankle again.

"Anayaaaaaaaaaaa!" Tristian whines even louder. Tristian always has to get what she wants. If she doesn't, she fusses until I sucker in. "You have to go to the party with me. I won't know anybody there."

"Everyone from Eugenes High is going. We know everyone from Eugenes High. The student body is less than two hundred," I remind her. "Like I already told you, I'm stuck watching Richie the Brilliant tonight at my old man's house. Plus, I'm an hour away from you."

Lou opens my closed door, her black nose peeking inside first, sniffing. She trots inside my room, surveying me. Her prying brown eyes look around at my bags, the bed, the giant mirror on the wall reflecting me, and the gun hanging above the dresser by the door. Seemingly pleased, her inspection complete, she gruffs, heading to the window facing the front of the house, her head against the glass. With a bark and a whine, she walks to my bedside, waiting to be petted. She gruffs when I don't oblige.

"Anayaaaaa...," again, "This is our senior year. Your senior year. Please don't throw it away. Next year we'll be dying from college exams and working horrible part-time jobs. We'll live on Ramen because it's cheap, invited to endless frat parties, and occasionally we'll spend nights at the jailhouse because the cops caught us speeding. No lives!"

Tristian's crazy.

Lou jumps on the bed and tries licking my phone away. "Stop that, Lou!" I swat Lou, and she props up, intently eyeing me.

"Tris, like I said, I'm stuck in the woods."

"I'm picking you up. Problem solved."

"I'm watching Richie," I say, just in case she forgot.

"Well, that's why you have a dog. Lou can take care of Richie, and if Richie falls in a well, Lou will alert us," Tris laughs at herself. Tris should know better. Richie alone, plus dog, plus empty house, minus parental supervision equals FIRE!

"Okay, okay. We'll go for an hour. The party isn't too far from you. Exactly forty minutes away."

I think it's over.

As if sensing my wavering decision, "And the man of the hour, hold your phone, your pants, and your draws, ADONIS, will be there."

My heart stops, "You're lying!"

"Nope," Tristian says. I hear her blow dryer fanning in the background. Tristian is getting ready to pick me up no matter what I say.

"Umm...did he mention..."

"He already asked about you if that's what you're wondering. He texted me earlier to see if you were coming. Can't say I never did anything for you."

I stand from the bed, and so does Lou. Lou walks to the door, flopping and rolling on the ground. She moans for attention.

What's wrong with her?

"I'm getting ready, and stop texting Adonis for me. You're not my wingman."

"Whatever. If you're coming, you can call me whatever you like. I'll be there at seven. And," Tristian inhales, "make sure you dress cute. Show off your long legs. Men like to see their dessert before they have a taste."