23. Let the experimenting begin

Once Richie lets Tristian and me inside his lab, everyone rushes to sit in random-ass chairs Richie found in a military scrap yard on the outskirts of town. I lounge on a worn lime green love sofa, Tris sinks into an oil-stained pink flamingo bean bag, Dougie hops into a space dish, and Lee, well, Lee crosses his legs and sits at Richie's feet.

"Don't get too comfortable, everyone. We're having a physical meeting today." Richie hosts this physical meeting in only green shorts so we can see his metal skin. The scales on his body shine in some areas, so he reminds me of a disco ball on display.

"Physical meeting?" Tris questions, snuggling deeper into her bean bag. She watches a video on her phone. I'm sure she cares what Richie is saying, but pretending to be unconcerned is how she picks at his insecurities.

"Why is she always with us?" Richie complains, pointing at her. He looks to me to do something, and I can't. Tristian goes and does what she wants. I'm merely her friend and constant spectator.

Richie and Tristian have had complicated relations since the late November 2016 fire. I wasn't there to see Mom's kitchen go up in flames, but they haven't been the same since. Tristian lying to the reporters about Richie dying in the fire didn't help either. But she got good air time, and her interview appeared on a paranormal news channel, Strange Times. It's the most popular late-night show in Canyon View.

"Because your sister is my best friend, and you got us in this mess like you always do!" Tristian says, her eyes never leaving her phone.

Richie's cheeks burn red when she grins, and he rocks on his feet.

Richie erects taller, knocking Lee out of his way. Lee's fast and does a small martial art twirl, gliding to another spot on the floor. "And you're a troublemaker! You're selfish, and you're a horrible listener! All signs of a bad friend!" Richie's glasses fall off his face, and he doesn't bother to pick them up.

Tristian vehemently glares at Richie. I can feel her anger bubbling, heating the already tense atmosphere.

He poked a sensitive nerve. Tristian's grin vanishes, and she retorts, "And you're a know-it-all who doesn't know when to take advice because you're damn insecure. You're a genius, okay? Nobody cares!" She dawdles, adding more fuel to the fire, "And I've never met a genius who blew up everything he ever made. You're laser sucked."

I go between Richie and Tristian, looking at Dougie, waiting for him to do something. He's Richie's best friend and loves Tristian. Surely he wouldn't let the two most influential people in his life fight.

Dougie kicks his feet up and snacks on something weird from his bag. He watches and laughs and cheers them on.

"You two, stop it!" I pinch Richie's ear and lead him to the front of the lab. I give Tris a dirty stare, telling her to shut up. "We have other things going on right now." When they're silent, "Much better, Richie. What's the point of this meeting?" I could have stayed in bed, mopping, and eating Hot Cheetos. I don't need any extra drama.

Richie chippers up, sticking his tongue at Tristian before starting. I slap the back of his head, and he stops. "Dougie, would you kindly show the class what you've been working on." Richie smiles, walking to the light switch by the front door.

Dougie cleans crumbs off his face, turning his head to Tristian. Why he thinks she cares what he looks like baffles me. He straightens his shirt, overly applies chapstick on his lips, and doesn't stop looking at Tristian. I have to kick his leg to get him moving.

Dougie goes to the front of the room and pulls down a string connected to a projector screen I had never noticed before. Dougie uses his phone like the remote, and the screen turns on.