1 | Cecilia's Wolf

Cecilia

"Rafe!" I squealed from the floor, the dog in question laying on top of me and licking my face. I was just trying to find my swim suit cover up in my closet when he tackled me and started attacking my face. "Stop it! Kayla is going to be here any minute!"

I had only had Rafe for a month, but he was the best dog I could ever ask for. He was definitely the best birthday present I have ever received as well. He was such a sweetheart and very protective. Whenever strangers get near me, he growls and all his fur stands on end. He always pushes me behind him and he refuses to back down until I rest a hand on his back and tell him everything is okay. He was the absolute worst with guys. He's perfectly fine with my dad, but he hates it when any other guys get near me.

I've talked to my dad about it a couple times. He thinks that Rafe has either had a bad experience with boys or he's just more of a girl's dog than anything. I would bet on the former because he really gets anxious when guys are near me. He got used to my friend, Aiden, but other than him or my dad, it's a chore to get him to calm down.

His aggression with guys tends to cause problems sometimes because I take him almost everywhere with me. He hates being left home and I love taking him with me when I can. My parents love it as well. They got him for me for added protection, even though my dad has had me in self-defense and fighting classes since I could walk, and they are happy that he can do his job.

Rafe seemed to be very persistent in his lick-fest and refused to get off of me, even after I tried to reasonably explain that we had to leave soon. Crazy dog. I tried multiple times to push him off me, but he's huge and he's strong as an ox. "Rafe, stop!" I tried again. He was wagging his tail like crazy, showing how excited he was, and my face was covered in slobber. "If you don't stop it right now, you're not going to the beach with me!" I threatened.

He stopped licking me as if he had understood perfectly what I had said. I swear to God, he was pouting. You know that face that dogs give you, the puppy dog eyes that just make you feel so guilty and want to give in. That's the face he gave me.

I had always had a problem with puppy dog eyes, but Rafe's were ten times worse than any other dog I'd encountered. It was so difficult to say no to him when he gave me that face. I looked up at the ceiling to avoid looking at him. "Up," I commanded, giving him a gentle push at the same time. "I've got to get ready. Kayla's probably already in the driveway waiting for me."

He huffed as he finally gave in to my prodding hands and stood up, moving away from me. He trotted over to my bed before leaping on top of it and laying down. He fixed his eyes on me and watched me like a hawk as I moved around the room, resuming my search for my swim suit cover up.

I already had my suit on and a towel in my beach bag, but I couldn't find my cover up and I wanted it. I didn't want to have to put on shorts and a tank top when the cute sundress cover-up was so much easier going to the beach. Plus, it was cuter than the shorts and tank tops as well.

As I looked through my closet for the third time, my eyes landed on it wadded up at the back of my third shelf. I grabbed it, holding it up in the air triumphantly. "Yes!" I shouted, turning to face Rafe to show off my accomplishment.

Sensing my excitement, he barked loudly and happily.

Finding things in my room is always a chore and I can always pretend Rafe is proud of me for finding something when he barks from my excitement. My room isn't exactly organized. My clothes are always all over the place and it takes me forever to find a certain article of clothing on the days I'm being picky. My mom always complains about it.