Part 18

Yes, that was true.
Kaito and Shinichi lived together now for the time being.
And it should have been awkward.

...it wasn't.

Kaito enjoyed Shinichi around him, he never stopped to admire his genius mind. Secretly he observed him checking through his files or reading a Sherlock Holmes novel and found himself growing more and more fond of him. He knew inside his heart that it wasn't just admiration he felt for Shinichi, Akako had pointed it out that special evening too.
Not that he believed anything could evolve out of this.
He was a detective after all, out of his reach with his criminal identity.

Shinichi realized the same. It should have been awkward to spend his time living together with the marvellous phantom thief Kaitou KID, especially because he was a detective and used to do everything to find out about KID's identity. Now that he knew absolutely everything about his motives he expected to loose interest in KID the same moment but it just never happened.
Kudo Shinichi still chased with ambition after Kaitou KID.
And it surprised him how much of an ordinary guy KID was behind his mask of a phantom.

Kaito and Shinichi began to grow closer, chatting every day about mindless things or deep psychological riddles of human kind. It was refreshing for both of them to spend time with someone equal in mind. It didn't last long until Aoko noticed Shinichi as well inside his house.
It was actually an accident as Shinichi aimlessly wandered around in town, only to find himself in front of Kaito's university. The man was homeschooled by now and studied whenever he had time to, the distance between his school and Kaito's residence had been too far to surpass every morning and evening, it simply wasn't worth to him. As Shinichi studied the building suddenly someone from above screamed down onto him, fury in her voice.
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT THERE?! GET YOUR ASS INSIDE!!"
Startled by this Shinichi took a step back and narrowed his eyebrows, answering politely to the woman above who obviously seemed to be a teacher.
"Miss, you must be mistaking me for someone!"
"STOP YOUR TRIES TO FOOL ME, I ONLY GAVE YOU PERMISSION TO USE THE BATHROOM! HURRY UP NOW!"
Shinichi sighed softly, it was unpolite to simply turn around and leave. He had no other choice than to make his way up into the building to visit the classroom. As soon as he arrived in front of the classroom he knocked faintly, before he opened it. The teacher, obviously furious, growled at him.
"Kuroba Kaito, you're such a troublemaker! You just attended university and still you have nothing better to do than fooling around!"
"Bakaito you've been gone for fifteen minutes!"
A girl similar to Ran stared intensively at him as Shinichi leaned against the doorframe.
"Miss, as I said, you must be mistaking me. My name is-"
"Kudo Shinichi~ Nice of you to visit me."
Right at the same second Shinichi felt a hand falling from behind onto his shoulder, a grinning Kaito showing up behind him.

The whole classroom fell silent as they observed the lookalike men. Saguru Hakuba sweatdropped and leaned forward, letting out a quiet murmur.
"Oh horror, two Kurobas..."
Kaito laughed softly, easing the atmosphere like that as he passed Shinichi, returning to his seat.
"Nono, Kudo-kun is different. He's not a troublemaker, well, not intentiously. Trouble just weirdly always finds him~"
Shinichi snorted as he heard that and finally showed a toothy grin, similar to Kaito's.
"It's not my fault you know?"
"I'd have said that too in your place."
Aoko began to giggle at this exchange of words and Akako smiled slyly, eying Shinichi up. The man flashed a glance at her as well, nodding politely to her. He had met her a few times after he woke up at Kuroba's to fetch his medicine he received from the witch. But his attention went back to the phantom thief as he spoke up again.
"Ah, Kudo-kun, since you're off right now... Mind grabbing some groceries on your way home? I planned on cooking dinner today."
A little puzzled by this Shinichi nodded and bowed a last time politely before heading off. He didn't even leave into the hallway as he heard Aoko exclaiming loudly.
"You're living together?! Are you a couple?! Why don't I know about this BAKAITO!!"
"O-of course not Ahoko! We're just sharing a house because of too high rent! Sheesh..."
Shinichi couldn't help than to smile at this. It really felt like they would be a married couple, living together, cooking together, laughing and fooling around...

He somehow liked the question.
"Are you a couple... a couple... are we a couple?"
His smile dropped slightly, Kaito was the only one to keep his heart all warm and safe. Yes, he felt safe at Kaito's side. How ironic for a detective to feel safe in near of a thief. Kaito occasionally hugged him and Shinichi adored the warmth rushing through him. And Kaitou KID was gone as well... Kaito stopped to dress up as the magician under the moonlight.
Because he had attained his target. Kaito found Pandora and left it where the black organization wouldn't ever be able to find it.
In the care of a witch.