Part 17

Shinichi's mind was a complete blur as he woke up, everything but usual for him. He always had been a morning person, moreover because of his lack of sleep during the night. To that it surprised him that he was obviously inside a bed, memories of KID's heist flashed through his fuzzy mind.
The man lightly pried his eyes open, staring for a while onto the wall across of the warm room he was inside as he tried to collect his thoughts. It was only then that he began to notice he wasn't alone in this bed, a strong arm held him close at his stomach.

Shinichi's heartbeat began to quicken. Did he get kidnapped? This wasn't his house, he didn't know this room at all. The sunlight flashing through the window illuminated a comfortable decorated room, showing a desk with various papers scattered across, a laptop on top of it and a wardrobe. The man turned slightly his head to catch more of the room but froze as he saw the poster of Kuroba Toichi, the magician.
"Hm..."
Now finally daring to move, he slowly raised himself and held Kaito's arm softly to not wake him up, before he turned around to face the sleeping person snuggled into the sheets. Almost in the same second his face lost all colour, he recognized the person as Kuroba Kaito, the waiter out of the cafe he visited recently. But how did he end up here? Obviously it was Kurobas house.

Where to begin? He had faced Kaitou KID on top of a scyscraper, surrounded by helicopters and kept the jewel tight inside his grasp. The jewel he held against the moonlight before just because he wanted to see why KID usually did this.
"Right... This bright red light... and KID panicked..." The man mumbled to complete his fading memory. He ended up following the order to arrive at an address KID handed to him, feeling colder and colder every minute. And at the end after a small exchange of words with KID he passed out...
The only logical answer to his whereabouts would be this person being KID. He was going to find this out right away, nobody left Kudo Shinichi clueless in the dark and KID had been playing games far too much with him, not that he didn't enjoy their battle of wits.
The man took a deep breath and opened his mouth.

"KID!"

Kaito jolted and sat up in an instant, blinking thrice to remember his whereabouts. Still half asleep he stared at Shinichi, mindlessly responding with an overall whiny "Y-yes...?"
That was all Shinichi needed as proof, growling he got up right away out of the far too comfortable bed and towered over the sleepy Kuroba with a determined expression.
"I should have expected that. Where am I, KID? Or Kuroba Kaito, if you prefer that? What did you do to me?"
Kaito groaned and made a move to leave the bed as well, but Shinichi grabbed him at his shoulder and pushed him back into the sheets.
"No. I want answers, KID, and I won't let you off of the hook this time."
"W-wait... Let me first wake up... It's tol early for the ruckus..."
"You are awake!! Now quit playing games!!"
The detective was visibly annoyed as Kaito rubbed sleepily inside his eyes, trying to focuse.
"Yea yea quit nagging me... What happened to you is... Ah... I guess I'll have to tell you the whole story from beginning... Want a coffee?"
Surprised about this offer the man nodded and stepped aside, letting Kaito pass. Groggily, the thief shambled past him into the kitchen with Shinichi directly at his heel, of course he couldn't give the thief any chance to slip out of this conversation. But really, he began to prepare calmly a cup of coffee for his tantei.

A minute later both of them sat down across the table and only now Shinichi noticed how similar this man looked to him. No wonder he was able to disguise himself as the detective so well, not that he would doubt KID's abilities.
After Kaito entrusted Shinichi with his whole story of becoming Kid and what Shinichi had done the last evening, silence fell upon these two. Kaito observed his counterpart closely while Kudo needed to sort out his mind.
"...that means... I am immortal now? I... I am forced to outlive friends and family?"
Kaito hesitated a moment, but still nodded in agreement. The poor detective had seen and heard a lot of things in his life, but this was a whole new league.
"When we're at it... Here. Take a sip. It protects your heart from growing cold... You have to take it every morning and as I know you, you will definitely forget it which means I'll have to keep an eye on you."
"I'm not a child you know?!"
Shinichi puffed his cheeks a little at this but still accepted the mysterious looking bottle and swallowed a mouthful. He had no reason to distrust KID as he had never hurted anybody.

"...so I'll have to stay here."
"That's the case."