The Girl Who Cried Wolf [16]

16: Great...

Carter's POV

Once the light turned green and the car came to a slow halt I slipped out of the high heels I had wore tonight and began to sprint into the woods, the thorns and stray branches scrapping my bare feet, but I didn't care, I kept on running.  

For once in a long time I feel so dirty, so alone and worthless, I know my sister wouldn't be happy of me, I know she would be looking at me in shame, so for the first time since the funeral I actually feel real, alive almost. I can actually hear my own thoughts for a change, I usually feel this thick buzz accompanied by a foggy haze, nothing felt real, nothing felt like anything; everything was so numb and lethargic.  

But tonight something changed, I awakened from the foggy state I had been in and I feel in tune with myself.  

So as I ran I thought of my sister, her beautiful golden blonde hair, and her blue eyes, sometimes grey...rosy cheeks, plum lips, heart-shaped face, yes, this is what I thought as my feet wandered through this unknown area, carrying me to a very small clearing that held little patches of leaves and small purple flowers, and then these two huge trees arched into themselves, framing the big milky full moon perfectly. I walked over dazzled by the moon when I hadn't realize that the clearing was a cliff, the dark waters bellow swaying with the violent wind, so I stepped closer and sat on the edge, pushing a thick fallen branch away as my legs went swaying over the edge as I looked back up to the moon.  

Suddenly something wet nudged my shoulder, I froze, and groping around for the branch, finally locating it I turned slowly and swung at the approaching creature.  

Went it went down I sat up looking at it before I made a run for it, it was a huge big black wolf, almost a horse, his fur short and shiny, his eyes were closed shut and his paw rubbed the place I had hit him, there was this low whimper from the wolf as something towards my right made a strange noise, my heart raced and my body grew stiff.  

There another huge grey wolf stood his face composed in laughter...what?  

I kept looking at him as he settled down his eyes bore into mine, those eyes, those deep honey brown with the hazel seeping at the core...it couldn't be...could it? It looks so much like Damon...  

Questions ran through my mind as my hand unconsciously reached out and stroked his silky smooth fur, his eyes never peeled away from mines until the wolf on the floor stood up on his legs looking deep into the woods for something.  

The grey wolf had come next to me, in a protecting stance, we waited for something to happen but all that came out was four other wolves.  

I looked at every single one of them:  

One short, probably my eye level, with brown fur and black eyes; a copper colored one with weird orange eyes; a perfect white one, more feminine than the others with its electric blue eyes; and then the last one, his hypnotizing grayish blue orbs, he stared at me for a long time, a great emotion passed in his eyes, something I'd seen Damon do when we first met...