18

**Ashley's POV**

I knew I needed to tell him about the mating/soulmate process soon, but how could I after this? Yeah he was still here with me but for how long? I just knew he was my mate...

But first things first, I had to get better and make sure he was okay with all this.

Stefan stroked my hair as we laid in the bed that was more than big enough for the both of us. No one had come in to disturb us for a few hours now, thank God!

"So how long have you been this way?" He asked quietly.

"I was born with it, it's a genetic thing I guess you could say."

"So... how was it then you weren't able to see even if you were a wolf? I mean isn't everything altered?"

"Yes and no. Yeah my organs shift and change or whatever you want to call it, but it's still me. When I change, my "wolf" is like my other identity but it's still me. So I still wasn't able to see anything while as a wolf, but now I can."

He frowned, "how is it like your other half?"

I tried to think of a better way to explain it.

"So you know when you're craving something you haven't had or done in awhile... That's kinda how this is. Like I could go weeks without shifting but I'll feel restless on the inside and possibly moody. Once I shift it's like I'm satisfied for awhile."

Stefan scratched his head, "it makes sense, I'm just having a hard time trying to wrap my head around it all."

I gave him an apologetic smile, "don't worry, most people do too. That's why not very many know about us to begin with."

"How do you know then if a wolf is more than just a wolf..."

"By their scent, their heartbeat is a different beat. Essentially anything is internally, and if they can communicate back with you or not in your thoughts. I would say we're a tad larger than regular wolves but I'm not always sure. But yeah," I shrugged.

This was good that he was asking questions, it meant he at least wasn't as intimidated by me anymore.

"So is this... Your territory then? Or how does that work exactly."

"The territories are determined by some old law that I don't know much about. My dad just happens to have all of the county since he's the mayor but that's usually not a determinant. There's a lot of history about us but I would suggest you ask one of the older wolves or read up on it."

"Don't know much about your own kind do ya?" He teased me gently.

"Not about the boring stuff," I stuck my tongue out and couldn't help but giggle, he was so amazing. Just another reminder as to why I wanted him to stay with me.

"I'll let you get some rest, I know you'll be needing it."

He started to get up as I grabbed his hand and gently pulled him back. "Will you stay?"

I knew he was conflicted on wether being with me was going to turn out badly, but he didn't know how much I needed him.

"Okay sweetheart, I'll stay," he pulled me closer to him and kissed my forehead. "Get some sleep now."

I leaned in and kissed him gently as I felt my wolf become content. Maybe he didn't feel what I did, but there sure as hell was something there.

**I know it's a short chapter but I felt bad for not writing as much. Hope this somewhat makes up for it until I can write more! Would love some feedback :) **