13

NO CONTROL

NO CONTROL

I was on the phone with Paige, going over all that had happened with Tripp. Gavin was out with Johnny, and Mick was somewhere viewing art with Phoenix. Tripp had requested time alone and so the boys went out with the other members from The Burning Loves while I opted to stay back in case Tripp needed to talk or someone to be there.

In the twelve days since I'd met Tripp, it seemed like anything that could go wrong was going wrong.

         All had been quiet since Monday afternoon. It was only Wednesday evening but it felt like I hadn't seen Tripp in ages. He hadn't said much after leaving Joel's office, but it didn't take an excessive amount of intelligence to know that inside he was shattered. After having Jessica crush his heart and tarnish his reputation the last thing Tripp needed was to have his own agent tell him he didn't believe in him.

         I ached for Tripp, I really did.

         "Well at least you're there with him," Paige was saying.

         While I was "there" as in being in the same vicinity as Tripp, I still felt inadequate and far away. I knew nothing of the problems Tripp was dealing with enough to relate to even offer some type of advice.

         "A lot of help I'm being. I feel like I'm just in the way. Things are just too hectic for Tripp to be hosting me," I replied.

         In the beginning, Tripp's sole purpose of inviting me to stay was so that I could get to know him and possibly become a fan. Now with all the drama on his plate, I knew there was no time for small things like his trying to convert me into a Tripper.

         "I know, but even if it seems like you're in the way, you're exactly what Tripp needs. Now is the time for genuine human kindness, Chlo. It's like everyone's turning on the poor guy, you gotta stick it through."

         My best friend had a point. With Gavin and Mick gone, perhaps it was my chance to shine and be there for Tripp.

         "Hey, I'm going to go and see how he's doing. Maybe I can be of some help." I shrugged, thinking of something I could do to cheer Tripp up. "I don't know, maybe we can get a photo of Justin and throw darts at it."

         Paige laughed. "There's the spirit, call me back when things are better, okay?"

         "Deal." I hung up and pocketed my phone and took a deep breath. Tripp was a grown man and even if being eighteen made me an official adult, I suddenly felt like Nancy was right and I was a mere child in comparison to Tripp.

         The moment in the limo came to mind, the moment I'd said those corny words to Tripp about life being a trip and getting back up to try again. He'd squeezed my hand, silently thanking me for trying. I hadn't done much, but in that moment, I'd succeeded in helping him.