02

NIGHT CHANGES

NIGHT CHANGES

"What are you waiting for!" Paige shouted. She shook me once more to gather my attention. "Get up there and claim your prize!"

I looked from Tripp Rivers to my best friend. Had I really just won? Of all the people in the room—the true fans—I won? How in the heck did that happen?

         "I...I...." I could barely speak as I tried to focus on Paige.

         She didn't try hearing me out. Instead, she shoved me into the aisle, into the direction of the stage and the pop star that was smiling my way, still clapping.

         I was suddenly on stage, standing next to him, staring at the room full of people, some were happy for me and others were shooting me daggers with their eyes. They didn't need to do that, I'd gladly trade places with any other girl in the room.

         "And here we have it, our winner of the Win a Trip to Tripp Contest, Chloey Beckett!" Tripp yelled into the microphone. His hand met my back, bringing me closer. "Well, Miss Beckett, is there anything you'd like to say before we close this thing?" He lowered the microphone to my mouth, smiling and encouraging me with his eyes.

         "I...won?" was all I could muster up to say.

         Tripp took the microphone back and chuckled, turning and facing the crowd. "Well as you can see our lucky winner is a bit starstruck, she can't even believe she won."

         People laughed at his joke while I managed to come out of my shock enough to scowl at him. The arrogant son of a

         "And I would like to thank you all once again for having me and for entering the contest. All proceeds are going to a very worthy cause here in Akron all thanks to you. Thank you and have a good night everybody." Tripp took a bow and went and signed more autographs while I was frozen in place.

         I won? I couldn't have. I didn't want to win. I didn't want to be with Tripp or see his mansion. I needed to escape.

         I was just plotting my way out when I was whisked away from the stage and dragged out of the room. I could just make out Paige jumping up and down in the distance, saying something I couldn't make out. Her lips seemed to be forming the words "you won, you won" over and over again.

         Oh God it was true.

         I did just win a trip to be with the world's latest bad boy pop star.

         I was brought to the back room where a bunch of people on cell phones were scattered around, either pacing or sitting or standing. No doubt they were all Tripp's people or his posse.

         Not knowing who'd dragged me to the back, or what to do now that I was there, I could only stand where I was, looking as lost as ever.