Chapter 3

Moonkit tumbled around in the snowy clearing of Treeclan's camp with a squeal. Many of the kits were outside busy playing tag, and Moonkit was trying to keep herself away from the cat who had chosen to be 'it'. She hopped along through the snow, glancing behind her to see if she was being pursued. To her joy, she was. Emberpaw--one of the clan's new apprentices--was right on her tail, swiping her paw out in an attempt to touch the little silver and white kit.

"I'm gonna get you!" The pale calico warned with a laugh. Moonkit squealed out a "noo" lifting her paws higher to gain speed. The snow in the clearing was deep, halfway up her foreleg. It was hard to maneuver through it, which allowed Emberpaw--who was a few whisker-length taller--to gain the advantage. But Moonkit was a fast runner. Even in a snowbank she could outrun most clanmates around her age. She had good endurance too, tiring out the six moon old apprentice easily.
Moonkit took a nosedive into the elder's den, safely out of Emberpaw's grasp. Emberpaw gave up her pursuit of the little silver and white kit, turning her sights to another of the nursery's members who would make for easier prey. Moonkit laughed as she watched Emberpaw chase Foxkit around, his tail only a claw's reach away. With a strong leap, Emberpaw pounced onto the ginger tomkit, squashing him in the snow. This made Moonkit laugh harder. But in her fit of glee, she had forgotten to be mindful of the old warriors who napped within the den she sheltered in.

"Oi," called a cat, making Moonkit jump. "Keep it down, would you? I'm trying to sleep!" Croacked the clan's oldest elder, Daisypetal. She was Blazestar and Mothsong's mother. She was almost legendary for it and for her long life span. In her old age she was beginning to grow blind, which made her hearing even sharper than it was in her prime. Moonkit felt guilty for making so much noise.

"I'm sorry, Daisypetal. I wasn't thinking," she apologized sincerely. "I didn't mean to disturb anyone. Is there any way I can make up for it?"

Daisypetal stretched in her nest, letting out a soft purr. "It's alright, little one. Just be more mindful next time. As for what you can do to make it up to me, I suppose bringing over a nice piece of prey could work."

Moonkit beamed at the request. "You've got it! I'll be right back," she promised, dashing out of the elder's den. She hurried over to where the fresh-kill pile was being kept, considering what sort of prey she'd bring to the wise old elder. But when she arrived, Moonkit realized there was nothing left for anyone to eat. Impossible, she thought. Leafbare would be over soon. There had to be food in the camp somewhere. Moonkit moved on to another place where she thought prey might be kept. She recalled Wolfheart telling her about the extras the warriors would store in case of a food shortage. Moonkit began digging through the snow to pull out leftovers from the stockpile. She was fortunate enough to uncover a sparrow, just big enough to feed Daisypetal. Though it was cold, Moonkit was sure the elder would be grateful for the meal. But it was a very scrawny one. Moonkit wondered why there wasn't more prey to choose from. The first of the day's hunting patrols had already returned. Was there still so little out there to catch? Surely there must be better prey somewhere, hiding in the tiny spots warriors couldn't normally reach. Why couldn't they get the youngest apprentices to squeeze into the small spaces?
Moonkit gave her head a shake, clearing it of her thoughts for the time beging. Instead, she picked up the sparrow she uncovered, taking it over to Daisypetal. The old she-cat thanked the little molly for her generosity, sending her back on her way. Moonkit pranced from the elder's den again, thinking about what she wanted to do now. Across the way, she spotted Tigerkit by the dry patch where the fresh-kill pile usually sat. She could see her friend taking notice of the lack of food. Realizing she would not be eating, Tigerkit found a nearby moss ball to keep her entertained. Moonkit watched her friend play, prepared to jump in and join her. But before she could, another cat padded over to keep the tabby she-kit company.