Chapter 4

"Why do we have to go play outside?" Skunkkit whined as Sweetclaw herded the kittens out of the nursery the next day.

"Grown-up business, little chipmunk. It does not concern you," the cream colored queen responded. "Now you all behave yourselves. Elmfoot and Silverhawk will be keeping an eye on you."

"Yes, Sweetclaw," murmured some of the kits in reply, Moonkit included. The Den Mother gave one satisfied nod, turning tail and padding over to Tigerkit. She touched her nose to the little tabby's shoulder, prompting her to follow. Then Sweetclaw did the same with Rainkit. What could the queen need with Moonkit's best friend and sister? Moonkit watched the three she-cats curiously as they padded back under the familiar tree roots that made up their den. Were they in trouble? Moonkit's thoughts drifted back to the day before when they'd all gone into the forest to hunt. I can't let them get into trouble for that! She thought. Moonkit's head swung around to search the clearing.
By the entrance to the elder's den, she saw Elmfoot sunbathing. The old tom laid with his legs tucked beneath him, head raised slightly to soak in the warm golden rays. Many moons ago the tabby had been Treeclan's Den Mother. When he was in charge, he'd been notorious for keeping a close eye on the kit-resistance of his den. But now in his retirement, the tom was more inclined to let curious kits wander than to worry about keeping them all in line. Sneaking out of his sight would be easy. Getting away from the other kitsitter however, might not be as simple.
In a dry spot by the base of the Great Stump, Moonkit noticed Silverhawk. The silver and black striped tabby was sharing tongues with Violetshade, her eldest kit. Though she looked around to watch the kits as they played, the queen seemed distracted enough. If she was careful, Moonkit would be able to creep away without raising any alarms.
Stealthily, the little silver and white kitten stalked over to the nursery. She crawled between two intertwining roots where she could easily listen in to any conversations, yet stay out of sight. Every now and then she glanced over her shoulder, checking to make sure her sitters would not find out what she was doing. Otherwise, a majority of her focus remained on the inside of the nursery.

It seemed a meeting had been called. Moonkit strained her ears to listen to all the voices she could pick up on. She racked her brain to figure out who they all belonged to. It was easy to recognize the voice of her mother, Brightsky, when she spoke. Her sweet mew was distinguishable from any other in the whole clan. She sounded concerned, probably speaking between licks given to Rainkit.

"Must we really punish them?" The queen fretted.

"Yes, Brightsky." That was Thornberry's mew. Thornberry was the clan's deputy. He was a nice enough tom, really sweet and very goofy at times, but he knew when to get serious. He sure sounded like he was right now, his tone deepened with fatherly sterness. "Kits who go unpunished are bound to repeat their mistakes again. They need to be reprimanded. They've broken the Warrior Code."

"'Broken the Warrior Code,' my tail," mocked Speckleface, Tigerkit's mother. "The Warrior Code says nothing about kits wandering from camp."

"It does say prey must be hunted only to be eaten. Those kits were out there hunting to better hone their skills."

"Not to mention," chimed in the voice of Cardinaltail, the Code Keeper, "there is an unofficial rule that says kits are not to leave camp, unless with a warrior."

"That's all a bunch of fox dung," Speckleface cursed.

"Yeah!" Tigerkit jumped in. "We weren't going out to hone our skills. We went hunting to bring food home for the clan. We're not mouse-brains!"