Chapter 13

A grumbling startled Moonpaw from her nap close to sunhigh. It sounded as if someone were talking, as softly as a dove's coo. But with how sleepy she was, Moonpaw could barely distinguish if the noise made up any coherent words. And it barely managed to coax the silver and white she-cat completely from her doze, anyhow. Whatever was going on couldn't be that important. So she allowed herself to drift, ready to return to the land of dreams. Then a series of whimpers rang out in the den, disturbing Moonpaw once again. Frustrated a little, she groaned, tucking herself tighter into her nest. She wasn't ready to get up yet. But the sound only kept growing louder. Until, suddenly, a cat caterwauled;

"No!"

Moonpaw immediately jumped to her paws, pelt bushing with alarm. Instinctively her claws slid out, ready to face whatever had come into the den. Her heart was racing as she glanced around the tree hollow for the unknown enemy. But there was nothing there. The only other living thing that seemed to occupy the space was Moonpaw's lazy brother.
At the back of the den, Skunkpaw was hunched over in his nest. Their pelt was fluffed, and their sides heaved as if they'd just run from Grassclan's meadow and back. Moonpaw stared at her brother for a heartbeat. Had he been the cat who shouted? Cautiously, she moved closer to the oddly colored black and white tom.

"Skunkpaw..?" Moonpaw called softly.

Skunkpaw jolted, whipping around to look at his sister with watery eyes. "M...Moonpaw!" He sniffled. Immediately Moonpaw came to curl her body around his.
Skunkpaw began to sob, burying his muzzle into her neck ruff. He snuggled deeply into her, his body quaking like a leaf in the breeze. Moonpaw shushed him quietly, nuzzling the top of her littermate's head. She placed her paws onto his flanks, kneading his fur comfortingly.

"What's wrong, Stinky? What happened?" She asked when the tom had begun to settle.

"I-I..." they started, taking a sharp inhale. "I thought you were gone...!"

Moonpaw tilted her head a little. "Gone?" She echoed. "What do you mean? Why would I be gone?"

"A…a beast was attacking the camp!" Skunkpaw explained shakily, "S-so many cats were dead.... Then you came out of hiding and...and led it away. When the warriors went to find you, they only returned with the body of the beast.... You were gone."

"Ooh," Moonpaw mewed in realization,  "you had a nightmare." She nuzzled her littermate some more, and began purring soothingly. "It's alright, Skunkpaw. I'm here. Nothing's happened. The clan is fine, too."

"But it felt so real..." Skunkpaw breathed, pulling back to look at his sister. His dull blue eyes were as wide as the full moon. The light from the outside world was reflecting in his startled gaze, making it look more haunted. "I could smell the blood. Hear the shrieks of the clan. I saw the beast; its horrible teeth and piercing golden eyes...."

"You were remembering the fox attack," Moonpaw figured. The way Skunkpaw was describing his dream sounded a lot like what happened in the nursery a few moons ago. All the way down to the color of the creature's eyes. They haunted Moonpaw, too. She couldn't blame her brother for still being shaken up. For still being plagued by the events of that terrible night.

"This was different!" Skunkpaw insistent with a rough head shake. "It was worse... At least half the clan was dead or missing because of the beast! I...I had a weird dream like this before the fox attack too... I didn't believe my dream, then. I thought...I thought it was a nightmare. But then it really happened...."

"Shhh," Moonpaw hushed, licking their cheek. "I think you should talk with the queens. You can't keep your trauma cooped inside you like this. It's eating you up."

"This isn't from trauma," Skunkpaw growled. It seemed he was becoming agitated. But Moonpaw was trying her best to keep him calm. "Whenever I  have a realistic dream, whatever I see...it comes true."