Chapter 2 // The Flight

Chloe's POV.

Did I mention earlier that I am not particularly fond of flying? Luckily, the flight was only about two hours long. My anxiety was getting to me the moment that I had stepped foot onto that jet, but I had managed to conceal it and try my best to ignore it while we went over the case once more.

I had been sitting across from JJ for the first twenty minutes of the flight as we all discussed the case, then she had gone to get coffee and then sat down with Agent Morgan who had called her over to discuss it further. I didn't exactly mind, though. Keeping myself occupied whilst being alone was second nature. You could say that I was a bit of an introvert. I decided to open the file with the case details in it once again so I could carefully study the photos and ready myself for the real thing.

Spencer's POV.

It was definitely unhealthy, the amount of coffee that I consumed. Especially since caffeine can cause dehydration, interference with sleep (which didn't help, considering the fact that I have Insomnia.), and in worse cases, even death. However, that wasn't going to stop me from walking towards the front of the jet to get another cup.

As I was just about to lift up the jug of coffee, Hotch walked over.

"Would you like me to pour you a cup?" I asked.

"No thank you, Reid. But I'd like to ask you something." He looked back towards the rest of the team to make sure that they weren't aware of the conversation. "I'd like you and Agent Campbell to investigate the crime scene."

I raised a brow. "Wouldn't it be a little too much for her? On her first day?"

"Well, she's going to have to see it sooner or later. Might as well be on her first case. Besides, she seems strong. She'll do fine. Plus, I think that you'd both enjoy eachother's company." He gave me a pat on the back and a wink before walking back to his seat. It was a typical Hotchner move. He's pretty serious and always gets down to the nitty gritty of things, but he'll show the small side of him that likes to joke around every once in a while.

And hey, maybe he was right. I peeked over to where Agent Campbell was sitting. "Hey, would you like a coffee?"

She seemed to be pretty invested in the case pictures, which is why it took her a moment to finally look up. "Oh, yes. Two creams and two sugars, please." The brunette smiled at me before I went back to the coffee station.

I'm not going to lie, yes, I found her to be quite attractive. As soon as she had walked into the conference room, I had already felt intimidated and I needed to remind myself that I had been working here for more than eight years and she was completely new and didn't know the ropes.

However, I am not looking for any sort of relationship right now. Especially with a co-worker and especially after what had happened with Maeve.

Her death had left me emotionally paralyzed. I had been so convinced that we were going to have an amazing future together. Now, I'm even more afraid of pursuing a relationship than I was before. Although, I'd never tell anyone that.

I shook away my thoughts before walking over to where Agent Campbell was sitting and handing her a cup of coffee.

"Thank you very much." She said in a cheery tone. Although I could tell that she was nervous about the case. "May I?" I asked, gesturing to the seat across from her. I sat down after she had nodded in approval and took a sip of my coffee before opening the case file.

"Doctor Reid, right?" She smirked.

"Correct, but you can call me Reid. You know, if you want."

"Reid, I've come up with a few theories. What if the unsub had sewn the eyes and mouth shut before they killed the victims as a form of torture? Also, that could have also symbolized something. Maybe those women had saw and said something to the unsub that he or she didn't take well. In that case, these killings were personal."

I was shocked by how quick she was to formulate a theory. It was well thought out too, so I'll give her credit. She was definitely on to something. "You might be on to something, Campbell."

"Chloe, please."

"Chloe, Hotch wants the two of us to investigate the crime scene. If you're right, then we'll probably be able to figure it out once we're there."

"He wants me to go to the crime scene?"

"I know, I was surprised too. It's definitely overwhelming once you see it in person, but you'll do just fine. Besides, you've been forced to stick with me the entire time. If the sight of blood and guts doesn't make you want to vomit, my horrible jokes will."

Chloe let out a laugh before closing the case file and taking a sip of her coffee. "Enlighten me." She rested her elbows on the table and put her chin in her hands.

"Well, a penguin walks into a bar..."