Adjusting

A day or so after she arrived Juliette was feeling much better. It turned out that she had not sustained any injuries landing here and that the worst was just a loss of energy which was easily fixed. Now Juliette realized that she was faced with a small problem what she would do now that she was better. She hated being a burden but she had no money and nowhere to go. She decided to ask Madame Giry about it. Fortunately said woman was just coming through the door.

"Madame Giry, I was wondering is there anything I can do that would allow me to stay at the opera house. I appreciate all you have done and I hate to be a burden."

The older woman looked at her, "I was just going to talk to you about that. Can you dance at all?" she asked.

Juliette's face lit up at the mention of dance and Madame Giry seemed to take this as a good sign.

"Oh yes! I love dancing. I've been taking ballet since I was little." Juliette said eagerly.

"Well then you can train to be a dancer here. And you can stay in the dormitory with the other girls. Classes resume tomorrow." Madame Giry said crisply.

Juliette grinned. Things were starting to take a turn for the better.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The next day Juliette hurried down the hallway behind Madame Giry. She was wearing a white leotard with a white tulle skirt and pink tights and shoes. She looked very similar to the way Meg did at the beginning of the musical. Finally, they reached a dance room and Madame Giry opened the door.

"This is Juliette DuBois. She will be joining us. I expect you to treat her with just as much respect as everyone else." All of the girls nodded, although Juliette hoped there were at least a few she might get along quite as well with. Still, she smiled and gave a small wave.

Madame Giry turned to mention something to the accompanist and Juliette was left standing there embarrassingly, not sure where to stand. The room had mirrors on all but one of the four walls and along those two of those mirrors ran a bar. Standing along the bar were fifteen girls, all of whom looked to be around her age give or take a few years. 

Suddenly a petit blond girl motioned her over making a space at the bar.

"Hi. I'm Meg Giry," she said cheerfully. This Meg was clearly younger than the one in the play but besides the age she looked similar to the Broadway actress. Her hair was a golden blond and she had blue eyes. She was a few inches shorter than Juliette and had the sweetest smile Juliette had ever seen.

"Nice to meet you. Thanks for inviting me over it was getting awkward just standing there, "she gave a small laugh.

Meg opened her mouth to answer but there was a sharp thud as Madame Giry slammed her cane down to call for silence. Immediately Juliette zeroed in her focus on the ballet mistress. There was no way she was going to screw this up. She could not bear the idea of disappointing THE Madame Giry.

Over the next couple hours, Madame Giry worked them hard, giving out different combinations, correcting the student's movements, and keeping time with her cane. All the while Juliette worked the hardest she ever had. As kind, as Madame Giry could be it was certain she was a stern teacher.

Finally, Madame Giry ended the class. "Jeanette, work on those turns, and Marie, I want you working on your arms!" She called out as the girls left. Meg and Juliette had just reached the door when they heard their names called. Quickly they headed over to Madame Giry.

"You did quite well for your first day Juliette although both of you could use work on your leaps. The landing should be softer." The two girls nodded their heads obediently. As Madame Giry continued, "Meg, I want you to show Juliette around so she can get the feel of the opera house." Meg grinned at Juliette and Juliette smiled back.

"Of course, Maman." And the girls hurried out and Meg immediately began showing her all around the place and giving her advice. "Normally the stage hands will be alright to us younger dancers but watch out for Buquet. You do not want to be caught in a corner with him!"

Juliette nodded and listened to Meg who she was beginning to really like. Then the conversation turned to her.

"So, tell me a bit about yourself. I found you outside the opera house but that is about it."

She asked kindly.

Juliette did not want to lie to Meg so she decided to tell her as much of the truth as possible. "Well, I was born in America and until I was eight I lived with my parents." Juliette's voice softened. "Then a few years ago, my parents passed away in a fire so I went to live with my Aunt and Uncle. They were nice enough but it wasn't the same. They didn't really know how to care for a child and they just tried to keep me out of the way so I usually was at dance lessons or reading." Meg clapped a hand over her mouth.

"Oh Juliette, I'm so sorry!" She said. But Juliette shrugged.

"It's okay, I miss my parents but I know. They are watching over me and wouldn't want me to mope around forever." She said. "But, as for how I got here I don't think you would believe me if I told you." Meg shook her head.

"No, I promise I will believe you and I won't tell anyone!" She looked so earnest that Juliette sighed and recounted her story omitting the part she had mentioned to Madame Giry about knowing about the gypsy fair and the location of The Phantom's home.

"See, I told you it was crazy." She said once she was done. Meg was silent for a moment. She seemed to be processing everything.

"I believe you. I mean it is wild but then I believe in a lot crazier thing like The Phantom of the Opera. Besides why would you lie to me. Anyway, it doesn't matter you're here now and I promise you'll feel right at home." She said this last part in such a sincerely cheerful way that Juliette couldn't help but feel her heart lift.

"Oh, and don't worry about the other girls. Most of them will warm up to you. come on I saved the best for last." Meg said and dragged her down the hallway and out onto a gigantic stage. Red velvet curtains hung on each side and lights were at the edge of the stage with a large orchestra pit just beyond it. The seats in the audience were made of a similar velvet and on the sides of the theater were several boxes for the richer patrons. Gold decor and sculpting was all over. The theater looked like it could seat at least a thousand people.

"It looks amazing I can't believe how big it is!" Juliette said in awe.

"I know. And just imagine, in a few years we will be performing on here in front of hundreds of people!" Meg practically squealed. Both of the girls did a few turns on stage clearly imagining themselves as great ballerinas performing for cheering audiences.

"I cannot wait till we are old enough to perform here. I want to be prima ballerina someday just like Maman." Meg said dreamily.

"I bet you will be prima ballerina. I'll be happy just to dance here. It seems too wonderful to be true," Juliette replied.

After a few more minutes Meg broke the silence, "Come on. If we hurry we can beat the girls to supper we might get an extra helping of the cook's french onion soup. Trust me you don't want to miss it." She pulled Juliette off stage and down to the kitchens. However, just as Juliette looked back she could have sworn she saw a flash of white in box five.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Phantom had been watching the girls in particular Juliette. She seemed quite promising. He was glad to see she wasn't going to be one of those annoying and empty-headed ballet rats. Previously Meg had been the only ballet rat he could stand. Then again, she was the daughter of Madame Giry so she had to be somewhat competent.

As the two girls left the stage he saw Juliette look up at box five.

Note: Well, someone knows what's up. Hope you liked it. All comments are welcome.