The Beginning of the End

Juliette was excited. The company was putting on a brand-new show. It was called Hannibal. The costumes were glitzy and the fringe that served as a skirt was very riske. At least for this time period. The choreography was great as it caused herself and the other girls to push themselves.

It was the last day before the performance and the rehearsal was going smoothly. Juliette was in what Meg had nicknamed her "zone" which essentially consisted of Juliette focusing on nothing but dancing. However, around halfway through the practice, something occurred that shocked her out of said zone.

As Monsieur Reyer was correcting the lead tenor Piangi, the manager Monsieur Lefevre entered followed by two men. Lefevre attempted to gain the stage's attention but failed. He looked hopelessly at Juliette's mother who simply banged her cane once on the floor causing the entire stage to go silent.

"Thank you, Madame Giry. As you know rumors of my imminent retirement have been circulating. I am here to tell you that they are true," he said. Carlotta made an arrogant I-told-you-so expression. Lefevre continued, "I am here to introduce the new owners of the Opera Populaire, Monsieur Richard Firmin and Monsieur Gilles Andre. You may have heard about their recent success in the junk business."

"Scrap metal actually," interjected the shorter one. Within the chorus of ballet dancers, there were several whispers of,

"Oh, they must be rich..." Juliette and her friend Mary Ann both rolled their eyes. She also saw Elizabeth and Ann give looks of annoyance from the orchestra pit. In truth, Juliette thought that the pair of managers didn't really look all that bright.

Looking at her mother she could just barely see a look of disapproval. Juliette sent a glance over at her sister.

"Meg, never get involved with a man for money," she told her.

"No worries mother hen," whispered Meg jokingly. The chorus went back to dancing and Juliette overheard the men addressing her mother.

"We take pride in our ballet monsieur's," she said casually as they watched to practice.

"I can see why. Especially with those two blond angels over there," said Andre.

"My daughters, Meg and Juliette Giry," Juliette could have sworn she heard a sharp protective tone in her mother's voice. Juliette couldn't help but smile a little bit. Despite the fact that she had been adopted many years ago she always loved to hear Madame Giry call Juliette her daughter.

"And that exceptional beauty? No relation I trust?" Firmin asked

"Christine Daae. Another promising talent," stated Madame Giry shortly. Honestly, Juliette knew that her mother felt some level of protection for all the girls in the chorus.

The managers then got introduced to a preening Carlotta. They immediately started pampering and stroking Carlotta's ego. Well, Andre was. Firmin was just leaning on the piano looking bored. Carlotta started to sing. It might have been ok to listen to if she had not put so much arrogance into her tone. She was also pretty much past her prime.

Without any of the adults noticing, Meg mimed vomiting. As she internally agreed Juliette prayed Erik would intervene. It did not take long for her prayer to be answered. As she headed into the second verse a backdrop fell on Carlotta.

The bang of the backdrop jogged something in Juliette's mind and for the first in what seemed like forever she remembered that she was in the world of a fictional story. The plot of said story was racing through her mind and Juliette immediately promised herself that she would make sure Erik got the ending he deserved. At the fall of the backdrop the ballet dancers screamed and she heard Meg cry,