The Accident

It was a normal night in the opera house the actual opera was taking a step back and the ballet was currently performing a run of Giselle. The corps de ballet was going through one of the main dances in act two when something terrible occurred.

Juliette stepped up onto the top of her pointe shoe and as she did so hit a part of the stage that was slightly warped with age. Her long white skirt spun out and before she could stop herself she fell and her ankle bent to on side. There was a crack! And she hit the stage.

Juliette heard a gasp from the audience as the girls separated showing her limp body. Pain and panic shot through her. She heard someone run across the stage. As the person picked her up she looked at his face and saw that it was Jamie

"Hold on Jewels, I've got you," he said.

Juliette was carried to one of the dressing rooms and seconds later her Madame Giry was at her side and in full on mother mode.

"What exactly happened and where does it hurt?" she asked urgently.

"I went up to do a piquet turn and somehow the part of the stage I was on was warped and I slipped. I think my ankle is broken I can't move it," replied Juliette. She now had tears running down her face.

"I ruined the whole thing. I'm so sorry. I disappointed everyone," she continued to cry. Madame Giry wrapped her arm around her and hushed her gently.

"Nobody is mad or disappointed with you. Every ballerina has at least one fall. It isn't the end of the world," she said. At that moment a doctor and one of the managers both came into the dressing room. The doctor immediately bent down to look at Juliette's ankle. Juliette cried out slightly as the doctor touched it. At last he looked up.

"Well, I have good and bad news. The bad is that I am afraid Mademoiselle, that you have broken your ankle. The good news is that it is a clean break meaning it will be slightly easier to fix."

"This won't stop me from dancing forever will it?" Juliette asked desperately. The doctor smiled gently down at her.

"So long as you take care of it and don't go back to dancing too soon, I think you will eventually be fine. I have seen far worse cases than a broken ankle. Although," and here he turned toward one of the managers with a sharp look. "I would get that stage fixed before another one of your dancers has an accident."

As the doctor and manager left for the moment Meg came skidding into the room.

"Julie! Julie! Are you going to be ok? Everyone is so worried!" Somehow the sight of her sister so worked up began to calm down Juliette.

"Well, I am fine except for the whole broken ankle thing," she said with a sigh.

"The doctor will operate once the performance is over but that leaves us with a serious problem. The duet you and your sister shared is next and Juliette is out of commission," said Madame Giry. Juliette paused and then did one of the hardest things in her whole life. "Use Marietta. Trust me, she knows the dance." Giving her spot to her biggest rival was extremely difficult for Juliette. But she had to admit that Marietta regardless of her other faults, was a very good dancer. There was clear shock on Meg's face.

"Alright," said Madam Giry looking worried. "Hurry and get ready for the duet Meg." Meg didn't move.

"Meg, I know we were going to do this together but I promise that we will have other chances to do a dance together. But right now you need to go out there and dance your heart out like the brilliant ballerina I know you are," said Juliette reaching out to squeeze her sister's hand.

"Ok, I will," said Meg and she left. Once she was gone the mirror of the dressing room slid open and Erik stepped out. Even with a mask it was easy to tell he was worried.