The New Prima Donna

Months went by and soon Juliette had become accustomed to life around the opera house. Between dancing, chatting with her friends, and learning her way around the opera house, Juliette was kept far too occupied to worry much about being away from home. Yes, she did miss her aunt and uncle a little but she had never been close enough to them for her to really feel a strong hurt. To be honest Juliette didn't really care if she ever got back.

She had had no contact with the Phantom since his letter to her, which she still kept under her mattress. However, there were, of course, the usual incidents of props falling and items going missing. Juliette found the over-reaction of the other girls her age rather amusing. Especially since she was aware of who was really causing the events. Before long Juliette realized she had been here a full year and was now twelve years old.

Juliette was sitting at a dressing table in the dormitory when Meg came bursting in.

"Julie! Julie! Guess what!" She cried using the nickname that she had somewhere along the line decided to call Juliette. She had been so enthusiastic that Juliette really could bring herself to correct her.

"Ok, I give in Meg what is it?" Juliette replied with a smile.

"Well, you know how La Cosette is retiring? Well, the whole company is wanted out in the theater to meet her replacement from Italy. We are also getting a new tenor." She grabbed Juliette's hand. "Hurry. We want a good seat."

Meg practically dragged Juliette from the dorm and into the theater. At last the two girls reached the stage where all the dancers of the Opera Populaire stood watching. The new soprano had bright red hair and was quite large. She wore a nasty sneer on her face and Juliette felt an immediate dislike for the woman. Behind her stood a rather large man who must be the new tenor.

"And this is the corps de ballet along with those little ballerinas who are training to join the corps," said the manager Monsieur Lefreve. All the girls curtsied and the boys gave a small bow. "This is our new soprano La Carlotta and our new tenor Signor Piangi. Perhaps mademoiselle we could have a demonstration of your talents," the manager coaxed.

Carlotta obliged she threw off the extravagant furs she wore and stood center stage. As soon as she started to sing Juliette had trouble not clapping her hands over her ears. She could tell by the looks upon the faces of her fellow dancers that she was not alone in her opinion of the new prima donna's voice.

"I'll take dying cat for 500," Juliette whispered to Meg who giggled, Juliette had explained Jeopardy to her the previous night. Needless to say, everyone on stage was quite relieved when the song ended.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The big topic of conversation that night at the dinner table for everyone that night was the new soprano.

"I can't believe they hired that woman. She can't sing and she can't act. The only thing she can do is throw temper tantrums. You should have seen the way she was yelling at the maids just because the mirror wasn't shiny enough, "said Jamie.

"Lord, Monsieur Reyer was so desperate to shut her up that he had the orchestra skip to the end of the song. There is another super long verse that he just cut," the lyricist Elizabeth informed everyone.

"Just imagine how long practice is going to be with her around now. I might not be able to hear the music over her caterwauling," came Sorelli's voice from the end of the table.

"What does your mother think Meg?" asked Mary Ann.

"Mother is pretty good about hiding her emotions but I am pretty sure she doesn't like Carlotta much. She hates valuable dance time being taken up by useless things like Carlotta's arrogant disposition." Meg replied.

"Let's just hope the opera ghost doesn't do anything too drastic. Although I fully support anything that will make her stay here slightly uncomfortable. She seems like a big bully to me," Juliette said, finally adding in her thoughts.

"So, rooting for the Phantom now? Marietta sneered.

Juliette just shrugged and continued to eat. Marietta really wasn't worth her time right now.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Phantom was not in the best of moods. That toad Carlotta was a disgrace to opera. But unfortunately, she was the only soprano that could be afforded. However, he would have to come up with a welcome present for the new diva. He smirked, perhaps Carlotta could serve as a decent source of entertainment.

With the light of mischief in his eyes, the Phantom turned his thoughts to more pleasurable topics as he passed the dining area. He heard the familiar voice of the girl called Juliette amongst the rest of the cast's chatter.

"I fully support anything that will make her stay here slightly uncomfortable."

It seemed that the young dancer and himself were thinking along the same lines. To be honest he continued to find this girl engaging. She was an excellent addition to the other ballet rats outshining most of them. Her personality could go from quiet and reserved to social and excited. She was firmly loyal and also seemed to have obeyed his instructions without question.

Yes, despite himself the Phantom was becoming more and more interested in her. Perhaps he should reveal himself or at least talk to her. But he banished the idea from his mind quickly. The most likely thing that would happen would be her running and that was something he couldn't have.

Author's Note: Please like and comment below! It really means a lot and I like to hear my readers thoughts!