Long live the kings

I woke up about an hour later to my cell phone ringing. It was Lynn, why would she be calling me?

“Hello?”

“Aunty Jac?” It was Brook on the other line “Can I come over and see you? I wanna see the babies!”

“Yeah, you can come over any time you know that.”

“I thought you were mad at me” I could picture her face on the other side of the phone. I sighed.

“I’m not mad at you, I got into an argument with grandma, that’s all. You know I love you.”

“Grandma’s sick Aunty, why are you mad at her?”

“Wait, what do you mean she’s sick?” My sister grabbed the phone off of brook.

“Jackie, look, we were going to tell you-“

“I don’t want to hear it, what’s wrong with her?”

“It came back.”

“What came back? What do you mean it came back?!”

“The tumor, don’t act stupid! It’s pressed against the part of the brain that involves impulse control. She can’t help but be mad at you, it’s not on purpose.” I threw my phone at the wall smashing it, walking up Nathan.

“What the hell was that?!”

“My phone.” I stood up out of bed. My hands were shaking, I needed to calm down.

“Babe, what’s wrong?” I continued to walk out of the room. “Jackie!” he followed me. “What the hell, don’t ignore me!”

“My moms cancer came back okay! It’s been 10 years, and out of no where, it’s back!” I sat down on the couch, holding back tears. I wasn’t sad, I was angry, why didn’t anyone tell me? “No one told me until now, no wonder she was acting strange.”

“I never knew she had cancer.”

“They removed the tumor when I was 14, they said there was a small chance it’d come back. But why now? Why all this stress when I don’t need it?” Nathan sat down next to me, my head fell onto his shoulder, “I remember when I was younger, the kids in school use to make fun of my mom for being bald, I use to get suspended all the time for beating them up.” I laughed “But I moved out of my moms house when I was 17, I love her, but she’s not really a positive person. I was trying to be something in my life, and she was holding me back. I never even made anything of myself.”

“That’s not true.” he kissed my forehead. “You’re going to be a mother, and maybe one day a wife.” I looked up at him, smiling. “You are something, you’re everything I’ve ever wanted in a girlfriend.”

“I’m not technically your girlfriend,”

“Yes you are, shut up.” I giggled at the face he made.

“I didn’t think I had to ask, we’re not 16 anymore. We’re adults, we live together, we love each other, and we’re having a baby together. Don’t sit there and say you’re not technically my girlfriend, cause technically, you are.”

“You make me feel so stupid sometime!” I pinched his nipple. “

Ouch! That hurts!” I shrugged, standing up to get something to eat. Then there was a knock at the door. “I’ll get it.” he walked over to the door, I made myself a bowl of cereal. “It’s Brook and Aly” he called out. All three of the walked into the kitchen.

“Aunty!” Brook ran over to me, giving me a hug. “So you’re not mad at me?” I crouched down to her eye level.

“Nope, I could never be mad at my little princess” I squeezed her nose “I have to stay away from all the fighting.”