Chapter #14

Falene

It wasn’t very long until you reached the kitchen door. You could hear movement inside and you cautiously entered holding Ares at your side. Ren turned to you as you entered and his expression morphed into relief.

“What’s your blood type?” He asked. You blinked at the randomness of the question.

“O.”

“Thank god.” He said exasperated. You cocked your head to the side.

“Why? What does that have to do with anything?” He shook his head ignoring the question and gestured for you to follow him. “We don’t have a lot of time.” You followed Ren into the living room at a brisk pace and then froze when you entered. Bookshelves and dressers covered the windows blocking any prying eyes from outside and the front door was locked and barricaded by wooden beams. In the middle of the room was a mattress from one of the bedrooms that they had brought for Train to lay on. He was breathing heavily and his skin was sickly pale with dark circles framing his eyes. A blanket half covered his body and he trembled slightly with each raggedy breath.

“My god.” You whispered walking to his side. You crouched down next to the mattress watching him sadly. His eyes fluttered open and shifted tiredly to yours. He half smiled, a seemingly trying task in his current condition.

“Hey there, baby girl.” He mumbled making you smile slightly.

“I’m not going to sugar coat it. Train…you look like shit.” You said and he chuckled but it quickly turned into a coughing fit. You subconsciously reached out and grabbed his hand. He glanced at it for a second and then his eyes landed on the blood that was still on your arm. The actual wound had stopped bleeding but the blood was still there.

“You’re hurt.” He said pulling his hand from yours to reach for the wound. You slapped your hand back over his and forced it back to the bed.

“It’s nothing. I’m fine.” You said. “Just a little scratch.”

“I’ll look after that when I’m finished with this, Falene.” Ren said from his work setting some kind of medical crap up. You nodded though you weren’t even vaguely interested in your condition. You were sure you would survive a small shot in the shoulder. You had been through a lot worse than that.

“Do me a favour.” You said bringing Train’s eyes back to yours.

“Don’t die?” He asked.

“Don’t sleep.”

“What?”

“Just stay awake, okay? I need you…to stay awake.” He smiled and closed his eyes squeezing your hand.

“You could have just stopped after ‘I need you.’” He joked. You leaned forwards pulling his hand to your lips and gently kissed his fingers.

“That too.” You said looking back to him. Even in his current situation, he seemed more interested in the fact that you had basically just outright said you needed him rather than the whole ‘kinda dying’ thing. Ren came to your side with a set of medical equipment that looked like it was meant for a blood transfusion. You glanced away from Train to the set up.

“Luckily, you and Train have matching blood types so we can do the blood transfusion.” Ren started to set up a needle. “I know you hate needles so how do you want to do this?” He asked swabbing your free arm to sanitize it. You turned away and locked your eyes on Train’s.

“Just do it.” Ren hesitated briefly and then you felt the tip of the needle pierce your skin. Your heart started pounding and your hands trembled as you tried to remain calm. You had issues with needles but it had to be done. You wouldn’t let Train die.