Chapter #12

*author’s note*

Sorry this chapter is shorter than I would like. I have a plan for an upcoming part of the story that's going to be really dramatic (I think) and I'm trying to lead into it in the best way so bear with me :)

Glass rained down on you and Train as the gunfire continued to explode around the room. You spun away from Train reaching out for the nightstand and grabbed onto the grip of Ares, your hand finding the familiar grip in the dark. You pounced to your feet spraying a barrage of bullets out wildly in the dark ceasing your enemies fire before quickly crouching down again. You hit the magazine release button and the empty mag dropped from the tube hitting the ground with a thud. You pointed the barrel downwards grabbing at the pants you had discarded earlier. In the largest pocket you found several of Ares’ mags and pulled them onto the floor in front of you. You grabbed one and smoothly slid it into the magazine tube. Luckily you were able to remain calm under the pressure of gunfire.

You cursed yourself mentally. If it weren’t for Train you would have been shot and killed in a blitz attack from behind. It was a careless mistake. You pushed your back against the wall beneath the window balancing on the pads of your feet and closed your eyes taking in a slow breath to steady your nerves. All at once, your eyes opened and you spun up and around sending your arm in a wide circle and shot back at your targets. There was a line of six or seven men perched in the trees level with your window about ten yards away. When you hailed them with gunfire, they scattered shielding their bodies behind the limbs and trunks of the trees. After you wasted a few more rounds to keep them down you dropped back to your knees looking to Train.

He was cradling his right arm against his torso, blood oozing out of a large wound midway down the outside of his bicep. He looked at you with a pained wince as you stared in horror.

“I’m fine.” He reassured unconvincingly with a nod. More gunfire blew overhead and you slinked forwards to his side. He pushed his good arm against you in a futile attempt to stop you from worrying. “Really, I’m fine.” He repeated.

You lightly grazed your fingers down the injured bicep and then ripped the sheet from the bed. You shredded it quickly down to strips and started tying it tightly around the injury to control the bleeding.

“Are you hurt anywhere else?” You asked keeping your voice level. He shook his head but you didn’t believe him. Your eyes met his with an accusing stare. “Where?” You asked clarifying your question. You weren’t an idiot. You were aware that a wound to the shoulder wouldn’t cause him this much pain. His eyes closed as he caved and he moved his arm away revealing the bullet hole in his lower right abdomen. Your body went rigid and your eyes hardened taking a gulp. You put a strip of the sheet into his lap grabbing his wrist and pushed his palm against the wound. “Where’s Hades?” You asked shoving Ares into the waistband of your underwear. He nodded towards the far nightstand. You turned springing forwards putting your hands palm down on the bed and quickly vaulted yourself over in a summersault avoiding the next set of bullets. You pulled the gun from the top of the nightstand, grabbed Train’s shoes from the floor and slunk under the bed back to him. He gratefully took his gun turning to the window and fired round after round at the men. Meanwhile you wrapped the sheet roughly around his torso stopping the bleeding. When you finished, you put six full magazines into the holster Train usually wore and clipped it around your upper thigh. You both pulled your shoes on and then Train continued to return heavy fire. “We have to move. Now.” You said wrapping an arm around his waist. You pulled him to his feet slightly hunched over; he draped his arm over your far shoulder and fired behind you, keeping the men from shooting you both down. Once you reached the safety of the hallway, you both scrambled down the stairs where the others had just gathered. They looked at the two of you surprised by Train’s condition.