27

I didn't know if I felt relieved for myself or Rowan.

"Hey." Ryder smiled. "Sorry, I know Rowan's asleep, but I just had to come. I couldn't wait till morning."

"Would you like me to wake him?" I asked, pointing to Rowan's room. "But you'll have to convince him to sleep again."

Ryder smiled. "No. But can I see him?"

I smiled as I stepped aside, letting Ryder in. I watched him disappear down the hall as I took a swig of wine.

I cleaned up the coffee table, placing everything on the dining table when Ryder came back out.

"You were missed." I immediately screwed my eyes shut. "I meant, Rowan missed you."

Ryder laughed at my mishap of words as I shook my head.

"I'm sorry. I've had two glasses too many." I mumbled as I poured the last of my wine back in to a glass. "Would you like some? I can open another."

"No. It's fine."

"How was your trip?" I asked Ryder.

"Long, boring." Ryder answered as he leaned against the kitchen table. I saw him read the label on the wine bottle. "Are you celebrating?" He asked me, a weird look on his face.

"No. Just a treat after a long day."

Ryder arched his eyebrow. "Well, I came, I saw..."

I couldn't help but smile. "But no conquering."

Ryder pouted. "Nope. I'll swing by tomorrow, before you take him to day care."

"Rowan would love that." I said softly before gulping the last of the wine and placing the empty glass on the counter. "But, I think you should stay."

That wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to say.

Ryder's face went to surprise. "Are you asking me to stay the night?" He grinned.

"I have a spare room, with a bed. But yes." I felt I had to clarify the situation. "I just thought it would be nice that when Rowan wakes up, you'll be here. He has missed you, tremendously."

"I guess I could take you up on the offer. We need to talk anyway. But what will your boyfriend say about that?"

I tilted my head. Is Luke my boyfriend? I never really thought if him in that way. "It's my house. You're Rowan's father." I shrugged.

Ryder opened his mouth to speak but I cut him off.

"Not that it's any of your business, but no, there is no trouble. We are just enjoying the pace we are at."

Ryder moved a bit closer to me. "What do you know about this Luke?"

"Please don't do this Ryder." I groaned at him. "I know you disapprove of it."

"That you're dating him or you're dating your boss?"

"I don't know Ryder. Probably both."

"Or maybe for the fact he isn't serious about you."

I let out a small laugh. "Is this the jealous ex talking?"

"No. I have proof." He snapped.

"What?" I growled. "Like the type of proof you had about me?"

"That's different, Rhea. You know that. All I'm saying is, he is sleeping with other women."

I kept my face straight, waiting for the punch line but when Ryder frowned at me, I realised that was it.