14

Dear R.
My daughter claims she is in love with someone who I believe is a bad influence on her. She is skipping school and missing curfew. When she is home, we constantly fight and it usually ends with her storming out off the house. I've tried everything and I need a strangers out look on the situation please.
Desperate Mother.

I frowned as I typed up what I could. To say I was distracted was an understatement. I was on a natural high and when 12pm struck, I was gone. I haven't seen Luke in a few days, even though he wanted a dinner this week and Jan agreed for me to leave early.

I had planned on going home and wanting a nap, do my studies after dinner tonight, but as soon as I stepped in my door, my mobile rang.

"Hello?"

"Ah, Rhea." Came the voice.

"Luke. How are you?"

"Good. Listen, I know I said dinner this week, but my schedule has been so busy. Can we do it tonight?"

I grimaced. "Actually, I have plans tonight."

"That's okay. Saturday?"

I grimaced again. "I really can't. I have my sons birthday."

"That's fine. I'm flying to Bali on Sunday, I won't be back till Thursday. Is Thursday night fine?"

I smiled. "Great." I answered. "Thursday night."

"I'll let you know more when I do."

I hung up and locked my front door, heading to my bed. If I can squeeze in a nap, I'll be fine.

I got as far as taking my shoes off and laid on the bed, cuddling my pillow, when my phone rang again.

"Hello?"

"Rhea." Came Ryder's voice. What now? "Mum wants to know is Rowan allergic to anything?"

"What? Uh, no. Not that I know of."

"Not that you know of? You're his mother." Came his accusing tone.

"Well, when we come across something that he is allergic to, you'll be the first to know." I snapped before hanging up. I shimmied up the bed more and closed my eyes but then my phone rang again.

"Come on, people!" I growled out. I knew it wasn't Gabriel, she should be on a plane hopefully in the air.

"Hello?" I muttered.

"Rhea. Sorry to interrupt you." Jan started talking. "Did you send through your latest letter? I can't find it."

"Uh, I did, but I'll resend it."

"Great, thanks."

Okay, I'll try one more time for a nap, but luck wasn't with me today as my phone went off again. "Come on! Who did I piss off for this karma?"

I answered my phone, getting up off the bed. "Yes?" I snapped out.

"There is no need for snapping." Ryder's voice came through. "I'm only ringing on behalf of my mother. Unless you want her to ring you?"

"Oh gosh no!" I sighed out. I've spoken to Ryder's mother, Michelle, longer on phone calls than ever in person. I put the phone on speaker as I unzipped my skirt and started undoing the buttons off my blouse. "What's up?"

"She only wants to know if Rowan will eat what we are eating."

"Huh? Yeah." I muttered as I placed on a singlet. "Is that what the message was?"

"I'm just the messenger. Don't get snippy. I've already told her that it was fine but she wouldn't accept that."

I rolled my eyes as I pulled up my cotton shorts.