25

I couldn't sleep. I don't know if it was the storm being loud or what Ryder said to me.

I rolled over and stared at the curtains that covered the sliding door. It lead to another patio, one that also has an entry/exit point to the lounge room. Throwing the heavy blanket off me, I went to the door and gently slid it open.

I felt the cold air hit me and I took a throw rug off the bed and wrapped it around me. It was still raining, not as heavy. I went to the railing and leaned over it, watching the storm that stretched from above us to the horizon on the sea.

I'm not that scared of thunder. Only when it's above me, making loud noises, making me think it's that close it makes the building shake.

I took in a lungful of air and released it. Even with the rough seas, it was still calming. Inspiring. I jumped when more thunder clapped, but it wasn't as loud.

"Can't sleep either?"

I gasped as a hand went to my chest. I looked down the patio to see Ryder sitting on a chair on the other end.

Getting up, he came closer till he was next to me, leaning on the railing as well.

"No. I might have to wait till this storm passes."

"I think it's nearly gone. It got hard and heavy back home."

I smiled. "It was pretty warm today. Your dad said rain was coming."

"Ah, using his knees to tell the weather?"

I laughed. "Yeah." Thankfully the rain wasn't falling in our direction and the wind had calmed a bit. I looked back out to the ocean. "I always loved this view." I said quietly.

"Me too." I heard Ryder. I wasn't game enough to look at him, so I concentrated looking ahead of me.

More thunder struck, making me tense up. "Hurry up." I moaned to myself. I watched a streak of lightning head to earth, touching lord knows what in the distance. The storm clouds were long, still looming above us.

"I'm sorry for picking a crap weekend to come up here." Ryder told me. "If I knew it was going to storm, I wouldn't have suggested it."

"It's okay." I told him. "You weren't to know."

Another large boom shook through, making me scream again. "Nope. That's it." I turned to the door as the wind changed directions, rain starting to come on to the covered patio.

Ryder laughed as I held on to the blanket tightly, stopping at the door. "Get in before you get all wet again!" I snapped, waiting for him.

Ryder followed me inside, grinning.

"Yeah alright." I rolled my eyes. "I'm still scared of thunder."

"I didn't say anything." Ryder then laughed.

I jumped onto the bed, turning the lamp on. "Close the door!" I told him as I wrapped the heavy blanket around myself.

Ryder closed the sliding door then fixed up the curtains before heading to the other door.

"Are you going to be fine in here, with all this thunder?" He teased me.

"Yes." I snapped at him before screaming again. I swear I felt the house move this time. "Maybe not!" I groaned, burying my head in to the blankets.

"How do you deal with thunder every other time?"

"Music and headphones." I answered as I fixed up the blankets. "I'll be fine." I gave him a fake smile.