Chapter Eleven: Enough of The Sass.

Cody's POV-

written by breatheforthismoment

   I jolted awake after a few hours of being in a deep and much needed sleep. All the commotion of meeting the boys and being in a plane crash had this funny way of tiring you out a bit.

   The sun was on it's way up, barely peeking out above the horizon. I felt something draped over me, surprised to see a plaid shirt that resembled one of mine, except that it was too large. Shaking it off, too tired to really think about it, I sat upright and pulled my legs to my chest and rested my chin on my knees. I could feel the annoying grains of sand scratching and irritating my skin.

  Everyone else was still fast asleep, Evelyn cradled against Harry's chest with Louis dangerously close to spooning him, Casey on Niall's, and Zayn by himself. Liam had been next to me, but I kept my distance from him during the night, or at least I had tried to. As much as I would have loved to curl up next to him, the thought of his gorgeous girlfriend back home was enough to keep me at bay. I had been down that path before and I didn't intend on going back.

  After Liam and I had returned to the beach, Casey and Evelyn filled us in on their findings upon swimming back out to the plane. I was slightly annoyed by the fact that Evelyn would put herself at risk for another injury by swimming back out there, but I decided against bringing it up. Instead I shot Zayn a disapproving look, meaning that he was supposed to keep them on the beach.

  Apparently, the girls had found the pilot dead in the cockpit. Shock flooded everyone's faces and I did my best to comfort Casey, wrapping my arms around her.

  "We're going to be okay. We're going to get out of here," Liam announced, so much determination in his voice that I almost fully believed him. He looked at me, and only I could see the true fear hidden behind his calm facade.

  Niall had told the group that we would probably be found within a couple of hours, and to not get too worked up about it, being the carefree person that he is. I was happy that he seemed to calm them down a bit, but at the same time I felt that we shouldn't have gotten too comfortable with that idea.

  Everyone started to feel the impact of the long day, and found resting spots on the beach away from the waves after grabbing jackets or at the very least another layer. But not me, I was stubborn and insisted that I wasn't cold. I plopped myself down beside Liam, who was now sporting a red plaid button up over his Flying Start t-shirt, out of earshot from the rest of the group. He was resting his arms on his knees, gazing out across the sea and watching the sun sink. We sat there in comfortable silence for a few minutes before he bit his lip and spoke.

  "I hate lying to them," He whispered dejectedly, hanging his head. I took a deep breath and placed my tiny hand on his back, knowing exactly how he was feeling. Even though I barely knew him, well, personally that is, him and I could relate to each other really well.

  "You're not lying, Liam," I told him, checking to make sure nobody had heard me. I saw them all talking amongst themselves, so I felt that it was safe to continue, "You're hoping, and we all need that." He shook his head slowly, meeting my gaze with a serious expression.

  "We don't need false hope," he finalized, his innocent brown eyes turning cold and harsh. It surprised me a bit, and I flinched at his words. In a split second, his hard exterior vanished and he was back to normal, his shoulders slumping, "I'm sorry, I didn't meant to be rude," he apologized. I smiled meekly at him, trying to ease the tension and calm him down a little bit.

  "I understand that you're scared. I am, too," I confessed, shocking myself. Never had I ever admitted to anyone that I was afraid. Not once. I always had my guard up, keeping that sort of thing to myself. The last thing I wanted was to appear weak to anyone. It gave people a reason to walk all over you, and to take advantage of you. I would be damned if I let that happen to me.