Part 36

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Sam sat at the table in the back of the room by himself, the end of a pen between his lips as he stared at the door Max had locked herself behind.

He was supposed to be marking possible exit routes from the church to get the people out of town, but the small nephilim clouded his mind. Just like she always used to.

When they were kids, even when he was states away from her, he would sit in class or lay in his bed, daydreaming about his best friend. He loved her more than words could explain then, and now, those feelings were even stronger.

He just didn't feel like he deserved her. No, he knew he didn't deserve her.

"Hey, earth to Sammy."

Sam blinked a few times and looked up at his older brother who was looking down at the empty map.

"What the hell? Why haven't you done anything?" Dean asked.

Sam looked back down to the map then back to Dean, stuttering and trying to come up with an excuse.

Dean put his hand up and Sam stopped talking. He signed and ran his hands down his face while Sam looked down in shame.

"Go talk to her."

Sam's head snapped upwards to look at Dean, his eyes wide with happiness.

"Really?" Sam asked, earning a nod from his older brother.

Sam sat his pen down and walked to the door that led to an office, knocking gently once he was close enough.

Sam waited for answer, but when he didn't get one he knocked again and said, "Hey, Max, it's Sam. Can I come in?"

Once again, no answer.

"Max, please? I don't like leaving you alone for this long. Please let me in. Don't push me away." Sam said, trailing off at the end of his sentence.

Right as Sam was about to leave, he heard the door knob click, and the door opened slowly. He walked in and shut the door behind him, looking around the room for the girl.

"Max, honey, I'm so sorry." Sam said once he saw her tiny figure in the corner of the room, the shadow of her wings on the wall behind her, showing Sam that her wings were wrapped protectively around her.

He walked over and sat in front of her, reaching over and grabbing her hand gently, intertwining their fingers together.

Max stayed silent as she looked up at him, a tear rolling down her cheek. Before he could even speak, the girl was in his lap, her head in his neck, tears rolling down her face.

Instinct kicked in and Sam wrapped his arms around the small girl, rubbing her back slowly with one hand as the other was at the back of her neck, playing with her hair, whispering in her ear.

"It's okay, Max. I'm here. You're okay." Sam cooed, making Max cry harder.

"They look up to me, Sam. They worship me. I don't want that. I just want to help, not just be another angel." Max cried, gripping the back of Sam's flannel, pulling him even closer.

"Max, you used your powers in front of a bunch of church people, it's normal to get that reaction. I know you hate it, but they needed you. You're their hope. They needed that." Sam said, kissing her forehead softly, then continuing, "Plus, you are an angel. Have you ever looked in the mirror? Like, holy shit."

Max started giggling, leaning back and staring into his eyes as she laughed at his corny joke. He smiled and took his right hand and cupped her face, wiping away her tears.