Chapter 18 - Love Is Happiness

He could not understand his mother's desire to see him wear a dhoti. Ever since he was a kid his mother did that. He remembered when he was over twelve or something he had worn it on the occasion of Diwali. One of the many embarrassing days in his life. He had stepped over it and the entire cloth had come down in a jiffy. Everyone had laughed including his mother. That was it. He loathed it after that.

Anika had barely got at the end of the stairs when she heard him scream her name. For a minute she had lost her sanity. What made him scream her name? And then when Pinky's name followed she knew Pinky had done something again. It was cute his Pinky made time and plans to annoy everyone at home. Before even she used to love annoying him. But now had no heart for it. She guessed the same things wouldn't even annoy him as before. He'd probably call it immature or childish behavior. Whatever! 

Pinky was an interesting woman. If someone did not know how to irritate or embarrass another person he should gladly take training from her. The charge would be irritation and embarrassment on a regular basis. She laughed at her thoughts. This was it. Pinky did this to make life lively. She wasn't one of those woman to hold up the tag 'I-M-Getting-Old' or complain endlessly about how her body was wrinkling out and giving her pain. She was a ultra cool woman ready to show you how to live life king size. She was an inspiration. In all honesty Anika felt she would have been a more miserable woman if Pinky wasn't around her at all times. Somewhere she knew Pinky understood what she went through but none of them ever out it to words. That was one thing she appreciated. Pinky was never nosy into her relationship with her son. Even though she made the witty remarks embarrassing them or spoilt many a moments she was never interfering with what was between them. 

Pinky was grinning like she knew what had happened. As she saw her mother in-law head up the stairs she couldn't help but follow to find out what exactly was on her twisted mind. 

"Mom are you kidding me? This?"he said raising the cloth. " What am I a ten year old?" He spoke annoyed.

"Don't you remember your age?" Pinky pretended to be confused.

"Mom!" He whined. Well to Anika he didn't seem anything away from a yen year old. She began laughing.

The two turned to her. It had been a while Pinky had seen Anika laugh so openly. Her eyes  colored in mirth. She knew her son was the reason.

"Now what's so funny?" He asked irritated on the outside but happy on inside. He finally saw her laugh.

"Nothing." She said trying to stifle her laughter. Pinky his her smile sharing a look with Anika.

"Get ready fast. Or we will leave you here. See, Anika is ready so fast. " pinky said in the perfect mom-tone.

"Mom. No. Dhoti like seriously. No man!" He threw his hand in exasperation. In the next few seconds his towel fell down. He heard the two women break into hysterical laughter. Embarrassing! His expression awkward he bent down and the two women turned laughing.

"Yes.yes.and yes Shivaay. Anika tell your husband to stop throwing tantrums and wear that and come down in ten minutes. Or - he can happily be here alone." Pinky said making her way out.