Chapter 11

"How are those shoulders feeling?" I ask Ross.

"Sleepy. Can I have five more...hours of sleep?"

"No," I say, dragging Ross up by the leg. "Today's a new day. Besides you started sleeping yesterday at noon and it's noon now already. You've had 24 hours of sleep!"

"Make that 28," Ross replies, falling back onto the hammock.

"But I can't do this task alone," I say.

"What task?"

Two minutes later we stand in the cave of cannibals. "NOT HERE. ANYWHERE BUT HERE," Ross begs.

"Relax, we're just carrying the bodies and throwing it into the river," I explain.

Ross holds his stomach and stumbles over. "You are not serious."

"Oh but I am," I say, dragging a dead body toward the mouth of the cave. "We still need this cave for shelter."

Ross shakes his hair. "I was thinking maybe we GET AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS AS POSSIBLE," Ross says.

I roll my eyes and throw the body into the water with a splash. "Get to work."

Ross winces and picks up a limp body, throwing it into the water. "This is SO not fun."

"Never said it was."

After about twenty more minutes of throwing dead bodies into the river, I start toward the cave opening. "Come on let's move our stuff."

Suddenly Ross shouts "NO!"

I turn around. "Um what? Did you just say 'no'?"

"Yes," Ross says. "Look, I'm sick and tired of listening to everything you say and doing everything you want me to do."

"What?" I ask, astounded.

Ross breezes by me and walks out of the cave. "I can't handle all this pressure Kate. I'm going."

Realization washes over me and I crumple to the floor.

"H-h-he's leaving me," I whisper.