Chapter 8

This chapter is dedicated to DaisyDares. She recently started a story called "Triple The Trouble." I think the story is good, so you guys should go over to her page and check it out. Thanks :)

_____________________________________________________________________________

I knew the lecture was coming before it even started.

"What were you thinking? Have you gone insane? What would you've done if you'd actually hit him?"

"Probably throw a party." Bolton gave me "the look"

"Could you be serious for one second? You could've killed him!"

"Seriously, it wouldn't have been that big of a loss. I probably would've gotten a medal for doing a public service."

I was happy about what I'd done. I was proud of myself for taking control of the situation. I wasn't about to let anyone ruin this for me, not even Bolton. I heard him take a breath to start talking again, so I turned the radio up and started drumming on the steering wheel.

Bolton sighed, realizing he wouldn't win our argument. The tension between us was killing me. I hated arguing with people, but I never like admitting that I'm wrong.

Because I refused to admit that trying to run a guy over wasn't the smartest thing in the world, I decided to apologize in a different way. Through music.

I turned the radio to the old country station that Bolton loved so much. garth Brooks' song "Friends in Low Places" came on the radio. I knew this was one of Bolton's favorite songs, so I started singing along. He wouldn't budge at first, just sat the with his arms crossed. He was making this harder than it needed to be.

I turned the volume up a bit and started singing louder. I could hear him laughing before he started to sing along. When the song was over, he turned the volume down and started talking again.

"I'm sorry. I just don't see why you tried to run him over. Most girls would've been falling at his feet."

"Haven't you realized that I'm not like most girls?"

He laughed. "Of course I have. There's no other girl out there that's as special as you. That's a part of what makes you who you are."

"And who is that?"

"Baylee Chaffin, the most  intriguing girl I've ever met."

He was the only person who ever left me speechless. I decided to change the subject before he said anything else like that.

"Tell me again why what I did was so wrong."

While he was collecting his thoughts, I pulled into his driveway. Once the car was off, everything was silent. I gazed at the now familiar white house with blue shudders. I'd seen this house so many times in my life, but only recently learned what the boy who lived here was like. If I'd never fell for Jesse, would Bolton and I even be friends?

Bolton's deep voice brought me back to the conversation. "Look, I know what Jesse did was bad. But, he's trying to win you back. The least you could do is give him a chance."

I looked at him like he was crazy. "You're not serious, are you? Why would I ever give him another chance?"

Bolton looked extremely uncomfortable. "Jesse's my best friend. He knows that you won't talk to him, but you'll talk to me. He wanted me to see if you'd let him explain things. I told him it was a lost cause, but he wanted me to try anyway."

"Well, you can tell him that he has no shot." I began thinking about the parking lot incident again. Suddenly, something occurred to me. "You convinced Jesse that singing to me would be a good idea, didn't you?"

He looked surprised. "Was it really that obvious?"

"Of course it was. Jesse never did anything that romantic for me. In fact, I don't think he'd even be capable of coming up with something like that." I was curious, so I decided to ask, "What made you think that him singing to me would work, anyway?"

He shrugged. "It just seemed like something you would like."

"I would definitely like that, if it had been someone else singing to me."

He raised his eyebrows. "Really?" He opened the car door and got out. He walked around the front of the car, opened my door, and took my hand. 

"What are you doing?"

"You said you'd like it if it came from someone else. I'm someone else." I laughed, and he started singing "God Gave Me You" by Blake Shelton. I'd always been amazed by Bolton's singing voice. He was one of the best singers I knew. 

He stopped in the middle of his song, pulled me out of the car, and said, "Let's dance."

"Here?" He nodded. "Now?" He nodded again. I laughed, before putting my arms around his neck. He started singing again, and we danced around his driveway. It was the most fun I'd had in a long time.

When his song was finished, we were standing near his porch steps. He said something is a soft whisper. I couldn't make out what he said, so I asked him to repeat himself. He took a deep breath, preparing himself for what he was about to say. "I-" That's as far as he got.

Clapping could be heard behind us, and an angry voice said, "Well, isn't that sweet."

_____________________________________________________________________________

Well, that's chapter 8 everyone. If you couldn't already tell, I love ending with cliffhangers. 

Also, if you've never heard a Garth Brooks song, you should check him out. He's amazing.

I'd love to hear what you guys think so far. Thanks :)