Chapter 2

Jun hadn't realized it was already afternoon when Kazu's gaming machine let out a weak beep and turned off right after. He rolled to his side, stopping when the bag of chips let out a crunch and glanced over his shoulder to see if Kazu was still asleep. To his relief, his friend was sound asleep on his futon, the remote on his lap, and empty bags of junkfood surrounding him as if someone had laid them there. He couldn't remember who died first in the game they were playing or who passed out first from the sugar rush running in their bodies. However Jun shrugged it off and instead crept beside his sleeping friend.

Carefully and quietly, Jun laid his body flat on the futon, the wounds and bruises on his body relaxing at the same time. After making sure his friend was still sound asleep, he made himself comfortable on the futon and finally looked at Kazu's sideview profile.

He hadn't change a bit since they first met. The shape of his nose was still so petit and his jawline was still sharp as he remembered it. It was as if they were back in preschool, the time when they hated each other's gut and came close to killing each other when one of them played a dirty trick on the other. Jun remembered throwing mud on his face and running off, howling with laughter that he had to hold his stomach while tears came running down his face. He thought that the latter would come running after him with mud covering his angry face and his hands full of many unidentifued bugs. Instead of feeling those bugs squirming in his uniform, he heard screaming and then crying right after. Worried that it was someone from his class, he hurried back outisde to where he had left the mud-covered boy, and instead found him squealing in pain as he clutched his chest.

Jun remembered being lost at what to do. He hated him to guts, but the look of pain was real as he bent down and asked him if he was ok. The boy only grunted in reply and Jun had no other choice but to bring him in the teacher's lounge. As soon as he bursted in with the body over his back, all the teachers stood up in horror and grabbed the groaning body away from his back. Jun felt like he was in a soap drama, where the man was patiently pacing outside of the door where the victim was being held behind those white hospital doors. When he heard muffled footsteps behind the door, he found the boy limping towards him and a teacher behind him for support.

"Thank you," the injured boy grumbled, his voice sounding tense like someone trying to rip up a linen shirt.

Jun didn't answer and only smirked before leaving the boy alone with the teacher. However, their unknown hate for each other didn't last long after that day for rescuing him countless of times from all those mean kids and finally, but shyly, declared friendship for each other.

Jun grinned. He remembered their weird meeting like it just happened yesterday and all of a sudden they grew up the following day. As the memories of that day lingered in his mind, he weakly lifted up his arm until his finger was touching his friend's cheek. Kazu didn't move at the slight touch so he dug his finger into his cheek until finally he stirred and his eyes were wide open. He knew he had pissed off his friend who clearly told him he hated being poked on the face while he was sleeping. Trying his best to crawl away with his tired body, Kazu stopped him by grabbing his wrist and dug his long nails into the unbadaged area of his skin.

"Ow!" Jun yelped, pulling his arm away and pain following after.

“J, I told you I hated it when you do that...” Kazu grumbled, sitting up on his futon and staring at him angrily with wide open eyes.

“Sorry, I can’t help it,” He pouted and grabbed a yellow pillow before Kazu had the chance to kick him in the shins.

“Just cause you’re injured that doesn’t stop me from hurting you, J.”

“I know,” he hummed.

The rest of the afternoon was spent inside Kazu’s room, playing games, reading mangas, or just talking about anything that interested them. When he heard the both of their stomach grumble, Kazu’s mom came in at the right time and handed them each of her satisfying afternoon snacks filled with her sweet delicacies. She left after she had given them each their plates of lemon meringue pie and glass of melon juice.