MythEye-Chapter 9

Authors Note:

I'm a little mad at myself that I haven't updated in so long...oh well, it's here now. I don't know how often I'm gonna update when I go back to school in 2 weeks, but I choose not to think about that now. Well here's the 9th chapter! :) <3

*************************

The second I opened the door to the house I ran up the stairs. Alex had went to his aunts after we'd walked back from the bridge, but I didn't really care since I had something girly planned for Nina and I.

Well, not really girly, we were just having a sleepover. Though, I doubt a boy would refer to it as that.

I grabbed my phone off of my desk from where it was charging and sent her a text, "I'm about to walk to your house. Be there in about 10 minutes." I hit the send button and then began to wonder why I hadn't put a smiley face at the end.

After a few seconds of over-analyzing my text, I received one. Surprisingly, it wasn't from Nina, but instead Alex, "Look out into your backyard..." It read. I frowned, a little confused, but looked anyway. Thankfully, my window overlooked the backyard.

I let out an small gasp when I saw four goblins now instead of just one, like earlier. I rarely ever saw just one, but four? I knew it wasn't anything good. I smiled as I saw a small group of fairies attempting to shoo them away.

I picked up my phone once again and typed a reply, "I saw, do you have any clue why there are suddenly so many of them?" I hit the send button whilst walking downstairs.

"Hey." a voice said, making me jump. I saw that it was just Nina. "What are you doing here? I thought I was coming to pick you up." I said. She made a motion with her hand to dismiss the thought.

A flinched a little when my phone beeped, but looked at the screen anyway. One new message...from Nina.

I looked up, but there were no signs that Nina had her phone out.

I quickly read over the message that she'd apparently sent me, "Okay, I have to get my bag ready anyway. See ya in ten."

I looked back up and saw that Nina didn't even have a bag with her. "Where'd you sit your bag?" I wondered aloud.

Nina's eyes widened slightly and she walked into another room. When she returned, she had one of my old backpacks in hand. "Um, right here." she said, holding up the bag. I took it from her and hung it back on its hook.

I laughed a little, "I'm serious." I said. Nina just shrugged.

I let out a small shriek when my door bust open. When I saw it was Alex, I relaxed, until I saw the reason why he had practically broke the door free.

I saw something move towards me from the corner of my eye and jumped back a step. "Nina, quit, you're freaking me out." I said in a dangerous tone. It probably sounded more scared to her.

"Why?" Nina asked innocently. "You'll understand once I explain everything too you." I said. I'd expected her to stop so she could hear my story, but apparently that wasn't the case.

I glanced to Alex and saw something sneaking up behind him. "Move!" I hissed, but I was just mouthing it.

"You'd tell someone about us?" Nina asked, truly confusing me. I looked to Alex who had now shut the door and locked it. I supposed it was to keep the other thing out.

"Huh?" I asked.

Nina's form flickered, showing the creature from the lake instead of her. That meant that the pounding in my door was probably coming from the naiad.

I looked to Alex and he just nodded, which confirmed my fears.

I began to scream and continued as Alex pushed me into the bathroom, so that there was another locked door between the monster and us.

I repeatedly splashed my face with freezing cold water, hoping this was all a dream.

As the door broke into splinters from where the creature had kicked through it, I realized that I had no such luck. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself, but it didn't really work. Well, how could it with a monster standing not five feet away?

I glanced to Alex who was opening the adjoining door that led to a closet. I smiled because I knew there were plenty of hiding spots in it, and even if not that we could sneak out the closet and hide somewhere else.

"Come on!" Alex hissed. I jumped away from the creature who had almost grabbed me, and slammed the door shut behind me and Alex.

"Wait." I said, now having thought of a plan. "Get behind that." I said, pointing to a pile of boxes in a corner.

I opened the other door and slammed it to make it seem as though we left through it. I dove into a pile of coats that were on the floor for some reason as the door to the bathroom flew open. I held my breath, but didn't know I was until I exhaled when the monster went straight through the closet.

"That was close." I heard Alex whisper. "Yeah, well, we're still not out of it yet." I reminded him.

Before I moved I remembered that I had my phone in my pocket and took it out to send a text to Nina, "Umm, something came up and I'll explain it to you soon, but can you possibly walk here? Be careful though..." I hit send and slid my phone back into my pocket without waiting for a reply.

"What were you doing?" Alex asked, now hovering over me. I smiled, "Just getting reinforcements." I said simply.

Even though Nina couldn't see the fae and myths like Alex and I, I knew she could be a huge help. Plus, she may be able to get past the naiad if she can't see her in her true form.

"Are you coming?" Alex asked. I hadn't even realized he'd moved. "Uh, yeah." We went into the bathroom after checking to make sure it was clear. We repeated the same process through the whole house until we reached my room.

I was actually kind of surprised when we didn't run into anything. I shut the door softly, then ran over and jumped on my bed.

Alex was just standing there, looking around until I remembered he'd never been in here before. I just rolled my eyes before putting my face in the pillow.

The doorbell rang, making me sit quickly upright. I knew it was Nina, but I also knew I couldn't go downstairs without being confronted by the monster. I decided to just text her, "We're in my room...but make sure no one else sees you coming up here." I typed quickly. I wasn't expecting her to reply, so I jumped a little when my phone buzzed. "Okay..and who's "we?" I smiled to myself. I had so much to tell her.

My bedroom door opened and I grinned when I saw that it was Nina. "You're the actual Nina, right?" I joked, even though I knew she wouldn't get it. "Uhhh, yes?" she answered. Yep, I could tell it was her.

My grin faded when I saw the creature behind her. I pulled her into my room and slammed the door, but I knew that it wouldn't hold the thing off for long.

"What's going on?" Nina asked. "I'll explain later." I said, trying to get Nina, Alex, and I to all fit in the closet. The other had been walk-in, so it was a lot more cramped this time.

We all fit, but only seconds later the door opened and we were face-to-face with a very annoyed-looking monster.

Yeah, not the best hiding spot.