MythEye-Chapter 3

Nina stepped out from behind the tree. "Are...Is it over?" she asked. I smiled, "Yeah, I think so." Well, almost. There was still the problem of my leg.  

I looked down at where the empusa had bit me and saw that there wasn't any blood. Nina made me sit down so she could examine the wound. Since it was on my calf, I had to lay on my stomach. I got bored pretty quickly and started picking at the grass.  

I felt something tickle the bitemark. I sat up to try to see what Nina was doing, but she told me to lay back down. I felt her rub something on it that felt like lotion. "Ok, you can sit up now." she said.  

It looked the same, but didn't hurt as much. "What did you do?" She shrugged, "Made there be less pain I guess."  

"So, where do you want to go?" Nina asked me. "We might as well go to school now." I said. "Are you sure?" she asked. I nodded my head.

Throughout the day I was extremely jumpy. Words can't express how happy I was when our bus was called. I met up with Nina at our lockers and we walked out to the bus together. "See anything else?" she asked me. I shook my head.  

When we got on the bus I sat with Nina in front of Alex and Jeremy. Apparently they'd noticed how jumpy I'd been all day.  

Alex leaned over the seat and grabbed my shoulders, "Ra!" he said. I screamed, but Nina clamped her hand over my mouth before any sound came out. They always did that and I'd never reacted before, so they knew something was up.  

"Whats the matter with you?" Jeremy asked. I looked to Nina for support. "A spider landed on her in second period." she said. I smiled at her gratefully, she always reacted better than I did in these kind of situations.  

Alex nodded and I could tell be didn't believe her, but he didn't say anything.  

When we got to the first stop, Alex didn't get off like he usually did. I figured he was going to get off with Jeremy, but he didn't do that either. Finally he got off at his Aunt's house who lived next door to me. "Uh-oh." I thought.  

I hugged Nina and got off the bus practically running to my house. A voice stopped me. "Great." I mumbled. I turned around to see Alex.  

"What do you want?" I asked him annoyed. "Did a spider really land on you in second period?" he asked. "Yeah." I answered. I wished I could lie believably. "Really," he said, "Then how big was it?" his question caught me off guard. "Pretty big." I lied, turning to my house.  

"But I think it would've been hard for a spider to land on you in second period when you weren't even there." he said. I stopped dead in my tracks. I'd forgotten about how we came in late.  

"What do you want?" I asked. "You saw her." he said. I was getting agitated, "Saw who?" I asked. Then it hit me. Was he referring to Ellie? "Saw who?" I repeated. "The new girl." I didn't want him to know that I'd seen her for what she really was, but I wondered why he was asking me this. "Of course I saw her, she was sitting with Nina and I." I said, being a little discreet. "But the way you grimaced when she sat with you." he said. "Yeah, she was squishing us." I told him. "Then why were you so panicked?" he asked.  

I sighed, "I didn't like her perfume." I lied. It was the worst lie yet. "Yep, you saw her." he concluded. "You say this like you saw something weird about her." I said. "You can stop the act, I know what she was." I looked at him, "You do?" he nodded. "Then what did you see?" I tested. "Well, her hair was made of flames." he said.  

I smiled, he could see the myths just like me. I'd never really thought that anybody else in the school could, but I'd just been proved wrong. I finally gave up the act. "Yes, I saw the empusa." I said. "And you have MythEye too?" Alex asked. "Yeah." I said. I wondered if I should be telling him this, "Too late now." I thought.