MythEye-Chapter 2

My sight instincts kicked in. I've had to use them occasionally, but when I don't need to I can't. It allows me to see the attacks before they come. I pushed Nina over the seat, hurriedly trying to follow her. If I'd been a split second quicker I would've made it.  

As soon as the empusa lunged, I felt her turn on attack mode. I mean, one second she felt calm, and the next, like a demon. It's kind of like reading her emotions in other words. Then I felt her fangs sink into my calf and I screamed in horror and pain. She was drinking my blood, no doubt, and I knew she could eat my flesh if she felt like it. I grabbed her by the hair and yanked her head back, removing her incredibly sharp teeth from my leg. I felt dizzy, but fought the feeling, willing myself to stand. "Go!" I screamed to Nina. She started up the aisle and I tried to follow, but the empusa grabbed my shirt, pulling me back.  

I gasped in surprise and Nina turned around. "No!" she screamed. She grabbed the broom from behind the bus driver's seat. "Nina don't!" I called to her. As of now the empusa was only after me and I didn't want Nina to get hurt trying to defend me. Luckily, she only threw the broom. As I saw it approaching I hesitated...one second...two, then I ducked. The broom flew right over me and caught the empusa straight in the chest.  

She stumbled backwards, releasing her grip on me. "Agh!" she screamed. Ellie grabbed the broom and cast it into a seat. I began to crawl up the aisle when she grabbed my leg again. I yanked it free from her grasp, kicking her. I felt terribly frightened as I dodged under a seat.  

I crawled like that for a could seconds before the empusa realized what I was doing. I felt the warning instinct in my gut as a force pushed me into the metal bus siding. Just in time to because the empusa's hand shot under the seat, making an effort to grab me.  

If I'd been in that spot a split second before she would've grabbed me. I trembled. I knew how much stronger she was than me and could kill me in an instant. I hoped that wasn't her goal. 

Her face appeared under the seat next. She smiled and I grimaced at the sight of her sharp fangs. A realization set in on me...I was cornered. I did the first thing that came to mind and kicked Ellie in the face.  

I crawled as fast as I could up the next couple seats then returned to the aisle when I spotted Nina's shoes. I grabbed her hand and raced off the bus. "How are you running?" she asked me. I had totally forgotten about my injury and as soon as she said that, my dizziness returned. "I'm not sure." I said, slowing down a little. 

I turned around to see Ellie right behind us. "Why don't we just go into the school?" Nina asked. I gave her an are-you-crazy look. "Well, I don't really feel putting hundreds of other people's life in danger." I commented. 

The dizziness overwhelmed me and I fell limp. Nina caught me, but it allowed time for the empusa to catch up to us. "Give up now." she hissed. I looked at Nina and saw determination in her eyes. "Never." she whispered. I hardly heard her and doubted the empusa had. "You have nowhere to run." Ellie said.  

Nina draped my arm over her shoulder. "You have to go," I whispered in her ear, "I'll slow you down." I told her. "Yeah right, like I would leave you here for her." she nodded her head towards the empusa. I laughed .  

We began to run again, even though there was little chance of getting away. I heard her laugh and it sent chills up my spine. Like us, she knew that she had won. I didn't care though. I clung to Nina for dear life-literally-as we were running. I knew how much I must be slowing us down.  

I knew what I had to do and I also knew Nina was not going to like it.  

I let go of her and felt unstable, but I managed to keep standing. "What are you doing?" she asked me. "I want to try something." I explained. Nina looked doubtful, " What are you going to do?" she asked. I didn't know how to explain it to her. "Just trust me." I whispered. Nina still didn't move and the empusa was almost right behind me. "Then just go behind that tree." I said pointing to the first tree I saw. I could hear the empusa's footsteps now.  

Nina nodded and turned on her heels. I smiled, grateful that she had listened to me. I had no idea if what I was about to do was going to work, but if it didn't I didn't want Nina around to get hurt. 

I turned to face the empusa. What if it doesn't work? I shook the thought from my head and focused.  

I stared into the empusa's eyes. I'd never tried this before, but I had a feeling it was going to work. I focused on my one thought-escape. I'd never really stared into her eyes before and I felt intimidated. I reached out to the empusa, but she didn't react. I was about to release my stare from her soulless black eyes when she started to glow. She stood as motionless as a statue. The glow became more intense and I had to look away or it would blind me. I felt something tickle my skin; it was ashes falling down on me. "What the..." I began and then I turned around.  

The empusa was gone.