MythEye-Chapter 4

I set my backpack on the porch and walked over to the garden. There were less fairies now than there was this morning and they were all gathered around the tulips.

Alex reached for a fairy and caught it by the wings. "Hey!" I shouted, "Don't do that!" I slapped him and he let go of the fairy. "There aren't a lot of fairies here." he commented. "So I've realized." I said sarcastically. I realized something, "Wait, do you know where a lot are?" I wondered. He laughed, "I'm surprised you don't."

"What do you mean?" I asked. "We pass it everyday on the way to school." he said. I hated how discreet he was being. "Please just tell me!" I begged.

"Think about it." he said. I did, but the only thing that came to mind was the frozen creature from this morning. "It's after I get on..." he hinted.

I was about to punch him for not just telling me when I realized where he meant. "Redstone Creek." I said. He nodded and I smiled. I'd never really payed attention to it before, but I had seen fae down there when I bothered to look.

"I have to tell Nina!" I said, before I realized he was still standing there. "She knows?" he asked. "Well, she knows I can see the myths." I said. "Why do you refer to them as myths?" he asked. I laughed, it was just so familiar that I'd never really thought about it. "I'm not actually sure." I responded.

I walked around to the backyard and saw that more of the "myths" were gathered here. I spotted some fairies giggling over by the small pond. I guess they were looking at their reflections, that's always when they're happiest. I turned to look among the woods and was surprised to see a goblin. Creatures of dark hardly ever come close to the house. It gave me a smile, making my blood boil until it hopped out of sight.

"What was that all about?" Alex asked, "Creatures like that shouldn't be able to come this close to society." he said. "I'm not sure." I answered .

The only other time a dark creature had come to the house was when I was 3. I'd been staring out the window on a rainy day when a creature appeared in the yard. It motioned for me to follow it and I hopped down from the window and ran to the door. It was still there and waving its stick-like arm motioning for me to follow. The shook my head to let it know I wasn't going outside in the rain. It turned around and I stepped out onto the porch, under the roof. He turned around and smiled, "Come on!" he said in an excited, scratchy voice. Once again I shook my head and I stepped back inside. The next day I was sick with a 104°F fever.

As I grew older I never forgot about it. One day I even googled the creature and found out that it was called a Spriggan. They were known for stealing children and with their protective nature, the parents hardly ever recovered them. Good thing I hadn't gone with him that day. They also lead travelers astray and cause illness, which explained my fever.

"Hello..." Alex said waving a hand in front of my face. I hit it away. "What were you thinking about?" he asked. "Nothing." I lied. "Well, as I was saying, want to go to the creek?" he asked. "Aren't there a lot of dark creatures there?" I asked. He shrugged, "I don't think there's that many."

"Fine, but let me go change my shoes." I said. Right now I was wearing open-toed sandals, but when I came back out I was wearing my black tennis shoes. "Why did you take so long to change your shoes?" he asked. I rolled my eyes, "It only took me five minutes." I said. "Well, whatever it still seemed long." he retorted. I laughed and walked over to the sidewalk by the road. "Are you coming?" I asked, but he was already walking towards me.