~Chapter 4~

The alternating dings of each checkout station only worsens the headache pounding the inside of my skull. Despite it still being the weekend, I haven't gotten much sleep. Add on the earbleeding noises of the cash register, paired with annoying customer, and the harsh artificial light filling the grocery and you have the worst workday possible. Thankfully, I only have thirty minutes left.

A hand shoves a newspaper into my chest, startling me. "Are these coupons any good here?" Glancing up, my eyes meet hers hidden behind the bifocals perched on the bridge of her nose. Her cataract surrounded irises glare at me as she shoves the newspaper closer, insisting I take it from her.

My hands grip the paper, taking it from her liverspotted fingers. Yet before I open the paper to remove the coupon inserts, I'm transfixed by the headlines. It's surreal as I see a picture from a security camera. The person's face isn't in the shot, but her petite frame and black hoodie I recognize. Over the picture, in large, white letters are the words "New York's Vigilantes."

"Are you hard of hearing? Coupons dear. I asked if those coupons are any good."

Flipping to the center of the newspaper, I look at the coupon cutouts. "Yeah they're good for the rest of the day."

"Then use them for my groceries."

"Alright," I reply picking up the head of cabbage. Robotically, I scan each item and look to see if there are any coupons that could reduce the price. I mindlessly pack the groceries away, my hands acting out of habit while the lady's voice drags on in the background as she badgers me not to place the eggs on the bottom of the bag.

My mind can't help but wander over the newspaper headline, pondering whether or not the cameras caught any of our faces. Whilst planning, we did account for cameras making sure to go over where they were stationed the day before but maybe one of us messed up, maybe one of us looked up. If so, then we're most likely screwed.

"Robyn."

That means we will all get arrested and jailed for most likely a long period of time. That means Brielle, Jun, and I will probably spend the rest of our high school time in jail--no prom; no graduation. Meanwhile Nacy won't be able to finish college and her adult life. We'll spend more of our lives in a jail than in an actual home.

"Robyn."

The thought of spending years in some prison cell, puts my nerves on edge. Inside I'm freaking out because right now, our freedom is hanging with the hope that those cameras didn't see us. 

"Robyn!"

My eyes dart around as I look for the person who called my name. "Huh?" Looking to my side, I see Ryland standing with an amused smile. "I've been standing here for a good minute calling your name. You were really in your own world."

Ignoring his statement, I tilt my head bemused by his presence. "What are you doing here?"

He holds up his bag, which contains a large black and red bottle. "Had to restock on the protein. You work here?"

I nod. "Yeah I do. You live around here?"

He shakes his head. "Nope, I live around Park avenue. I'm just here scoping out sites that might be good for my photography project." I suppose the look on my face gives off some skepticism because Ryland smirks. "I didn't come here to stalk you."

A person clears his throat, snapping me out of the conversation. I look up to see a tall man waiting impatiently for me to begin checking out his groceries. Giving him my sincerest apologies, I return back to my job as cashier, hoping that Ryland will get the memo and leave. Unfortunately, he doesn't.