~Chapter 24~

Her chest rumbles with mucus as her hacking coughs slice through the air. "I'm fine. Really, I'm okay," Jun says before another violent cough takes over her body.

"You're in no condition to go," Nacy states firmly.

"I can stay in the car and watch the computer, make sure all the cameras and security are down."

Nacy shakes her head, her ponytail moving along with her. "You're sick."

"I'll take some cough drops, some cough syrup. C'mon Nace. Please?" Jun's brown eyes plead, imploring Nacy to please let her go. "We started this together. Let's finish it together."

Nacy sighs, causing Jun's eyes to light up in excitement. Jun jumps to wrap her arms around Nacy's torso. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

"Alright, but you're staying in that car. Do you understand?"Jun nods, a satisfied smile on her face. "Let's go over some things then before we head out." Nacy says as she walks to her room, Jun following closely behind.

I watch the two go, sighing as I grab an apple off the kitchen counter and twirl the apple in my hand, admiring its smooth, green skin before taking a large bite. Glancing up, my eyes meet Brielle's gaze, soft and laced with uncertainty.  "You ready?" she asks.

"Doesn't matter." I take another bite, the crunch echoing in my ears. "We're gonna get this done."

~~~~~~

The car ride is silent, the kind of silent that occurs when one is attempting to soak in the magnitude of a situation. Our last time, while freeing also means the end. I don't know what that means for all of us--where time will guide us. The uncertainty is both scary and exhilarating. We will soon be able to focus on ourselves, search for who we are, and I don't know if I want to.

We slow to halt, and Nacy turns to face us in the back. "This is it guys. Let's go."

 I pop in my earpiece, flicking the small button on. "Does everyone's earpiece work?" I ask, to which I get simultaneous nods. "Let's split."

Brielle turns behind her to look at Jun in trunk of car, and gives her a high five. I follow her lead, before heading out of the car and quickly walking away. I take my designed route--the longest. As I walk, I try to keep my breathing calm, not wanting to bring any suspicion to myself. Thankfully, it's late and there aren't very many--if any--people roaming the sidewalks.

Jun's soft voice crackles between the static. "Cameras and security are down."

"Alright, moving in," Brielle replies.

Tilting my hat, I increase my pace so that I can be ready to make my move into the house. The streets are dimly lit by the orange light of the street lamps and the night envelops me, making it easy to hide its darkness.

"Open," Brielle alerts.

I glance around, checking the windows and street for any possible witness before quickly dipping behind a house. "I'm in," Nacy whispers. Taking that as my sign to speed this process up, I swiftly make my way through the backyards climbing over three fences before arriving at the backdoor of the house. The white frames door is left only a crack open, and I quietly let myself in. "In," I whisper as I glance around the kitchen, my eyes adjusting to the darkness. The moon's light reflects off the stainless steel appliances, giving the room an eerie blue glow.

"In the study," Brielle says. "Upstairs, first room to your left."

I tread carefully, the floorboards creaking ever so slightly with every step. My eyes take in the house--the leather sofa, the flat screen TV, the paintings--as I head toward the staircase.  I reach the top of the staircase and walk into the office. There, Brielle crouches ruffling through files, and Nacy stands a few feet away, hunched over, hacking away at the computer.