~Chapter 22~

Jun goes through the pictures on her camera, her thumb pressing  quickly on the back arrow. Huddling together, Brielle, Nacy and I stand over her shoulders. "I tried looking through the files on his computer, but that didn't give me much and took too long. So I looked through his e-mails and it all just fell into place." She stops, and points at the tiny camera screen. "These are messages between him in the mayor dating back to a couple of years ago, when Travis John first became Police Comissioner."

My eyes focus on the bright screen, and quickly it all becomes apparent.

Good evening Mayor Quincy,

There seems to be a hole in the NYPD budget. I'm unsure of where the money is going, but I wanted to inform you of this potential money laundering. I will be organizing a team of investigative forces to figure out what is going on.

Sincerely,

Police Comissioner Travis John

Jun clicks the next picture, showing an email from a different email address then the one Travis originally sent his email to.

Travis,

Please do not worry. I assure you the money being taken is going into important investment. The previous commissioner and I had a particular plan in my mind. If you would like, I can certainly inform you of this plan as I'm sure we'll both profit but only if you promise to keep this arrangement to yourself.

As we continue through the emaills, Travis quickly figures out what is going on and refuses to take part. He also makes it clear that he will have to investigate the Mayor for money laundering. Yet it's the Mayor's response that leaves our mouths agape.

Travis,

I'm disappointed that you'd think I'd be so careless. My family and I carry a lot of weight in the political world, and I have been very good at keeping my image fairly clean. If this investigation were to go too far, I can't say I'd be able to keep your image clean though.

"He's blackmailing him," I whisper in astonishment.

Brielle's eyes widen, as she runs a hand through her amber brown hair. "This completely changes everything."

She is right. Not only will our target change but our precautions. We're going to need to make sure he's not home. While he only uses bodyguards while out giving speeches and attending government meetings, at home he boasts to have a serious collection of arms. Guns of every kind can be found hanging on his walls, and he's rumored to walk around carrying a firearm.

Looking to Nacy, Brielle scrunches her brow together in question. "Do you think we'll be able to do this? Who knows what kind of security he has?" Nacy's gaze flickers between the three of us as she bites her lip. "I'll see. I can't not try. If it's the mayor than he could be doing this to so many other groups."

"Do you think, maybe, these e-mails are enough evidence?" asks Jun.

I shake my head. "If they were, Travis would have used them already. Whatever way Mayor Quincy is going about this has made Travis too scared put a warrant on it."

"Don't worry about it guys. I'm going to find a safe way out and safe way in so no one gets hurt," she stops her eyes focusing on me, "not even Travis."

The next days are spent tirelessly researching and planning out possible strategies, most being shot down. I get breaks from the constant planning, but that does nothing to stop the thoughts swimming around my head about it. The fact that this could be our last theft ever is relieving and frightening since this is clearly the riskiest. So many scenarios could occur and only a sliver of them are hopeful.

"What's up?" Ryland asks, snapping me from my thoughts. Glancing around the warm colored walls, I remember that I'm at Ryland's mother's house and am supposed to be studying for this math test.

"What do you mean what's up? Obviously math."

He sucks his teeth. "No you were blanking out into space for a good while. What's on your mind?"

"Nothing." He lifts an eyebrow in skepticism, and I sigh. Pausing to examine his face, I note the way he presses his lips together in an attempt to hold back his thoughts. I know he wants to press the issue further, but he can't, I can't, right now. "I'm just--I need you to trust me. I'm okay."

He grabs my hand in his and rubs small circles with the pad of his thumb. Leaning over our binders and notebook, he places a soft kiss on my head then lips. With closed eyes, I let the warmth of his simple touch run through my body as he slowly pulls away.

"Excuse me. Sorry. Just going to get some water," Ryland's mom informs as she scuttles toward the kitchen. She lifts a hand to her face to act as a shield from seeing anything she may regret. 

I'm consistently astonished at how she manages to remain so cheerful even during her strenuous chemo therapy treatment. Death is between each breath, but she remains grateful for each and every one with a smile. "Don't worry we weren't doing anything," I reassure her.

As she bends over to grab a water bottle out the refrigerator, she scoffs. "I saw you guys kissing. I'm not blind."

Ryland groans, letting his head fall back againts the couch. "Ma!"

Closing the refrigerator door, she shrugs. "I thought it was cute. Cuter than what I was doing at your age."

"Alright mom, that's the end of this conversation."

She lifts her hands up to feign innocence. "I'm just saying, you guys are adorable," she states before shuffling back to her room. "You know you think so too Ry!"

I can feel the heat of Ryland's stare as I try to hold back my chuckles. "Shut up Pige," he demands with a light shove, but that only causes me to burst out in laughter. He sucks his teeth in response. "I really hate you."

Despite his comment I continue laughing, yet there is an impending darkness that shadow his words. I just hope there's never any meaning behind them.

A/N: So finally another chapter! A lot is about to happen in the upcoming chapters, especially the next one! Please comment with any thoughts of what's about to happen! There's actually about twelve more chapters left (give or take), which means this book will be coming to a close within the next months. I'd just like to say thank you to you all for sticking with me this far! It feels great to have your support!!! With the school year approaching, I hope I can still manage to get some more chapters out to you all, but senior fall will be a difficult one for me scheduling wise so bare with me! Thanks so much again! And I'll see you guys later <3