Chapter 39

"Sasuke, go home and go shower and some food. You should also get some rest before you sit here like a statue over Naruto for another few days." Shikamaru said, prodding the stubborn Uchiha in the arm. Sasuke re-crossed his arms with a huff, still refusing to move from his spot. "Naruto would not want you not taking care of yourself," Shikamaru said, knowing that by saying so Sasuke would get his butt moving along to do what has been told. Sasuke blinked, staring at Naruto laying there on the bed. She was so still, this wasn't like Naruto. Even when Naruto showed off her true powers and started showing her quiet and calculating self, she still disliked to sit still due to the enormous amount of chakra making her feel constantly restless.
Sasuke sighed, getting up and kissing Naruto on the forehead before leaving to do the task the Nara has asked him to do. Shikamaru took up the seat that Sasuke vacated to tell the raven that he would sit and guard the blond until he returned and that there was nothing to worry about.

Sasuke quickly made his way home, glaring at everyone. As far as he knew, there are still people that are out to get Naruto and he would not rest until he destroyed them all or until Naruto is well enough to easily fend for herself and stop him from slaughtering anyone that did her wrong - which is basically almost the entire village. When he got home, he muttered a quiet 'tadaima' but received no reply in return. Sasuke felt around with his chakra and realised that no one was home. Where did mother go? She is usually home at this time. Sasuke wondered but shrugged it off and went to shower.
After Sasuke showered and ate, he decided to train a bit before heading back to the hospital. He had not trained for almost a week already since they have found Naruto in the Forest of Death nearly about to be set on fire. That had left the six of them paranoid and suspicious of the other villagers. Naruto's room had at least one of them guarding the room, afraid that someone might try to sneak onto the room to assassinate Naruto while she was in a coma.

When Sasuke returned to the hospital, Shikamaru and Neji was standing outside the room with their arms crossed and staring intently at the ground as if it was the most interesting thing in the world. "What's wrong?" Sasuke asked, ready to spring into action. Shikamaru looked up from the ground, his eyes teary and bloodshot, making Sasuke tense.
"She woke up." Shikamaru said softly, Sasuke frowned at that. Is that not a good thing?
"She woke up but she... well, she shied away from everyone, curling up when the doctors or nurses tried to approach." Sasuke clenched his fist, how would Naruto react seeing him? Shikamaru nudged Sasuke, "You should go inside and see her."
"But-"
"Remember in the Forest of Death when we were going to help you hold Naruto while you went to get help but she reacted badly to anyone of us holding her except for you?" Neji interrupted, holding Sasuke's gaze.
When Sasuke still looked uncertain, Shikamaru continued. "That time when we went on a mission together, Naruto was so sick but she didn't tell anyone but she went to you afterwards to tell you so that you could help her. She was so stubborn about getting help from any of us but she went to you to get help in a heartbeat."
"Go on Sasuke, she's probably waiting for you." Neji gently persuaded, pushing the Uchiha towards the door. Sasuke took a deep breath before pushing the door open to see his sunshine.

Sasuke looked into the room to see that Naruto was sitting up on the bed, staring at the bedsheets and her fingers. "Naruto." Sasuke breathed out, tears welling up in his eyes. Naruto turned immediately at the sound of his voice.

"Sasuke!" Naruto cried, attempting to get out of bed to him. Sasuke was next to her in a heartbeat, his arms circled around her protectively as she did the same, clutching him like he would disappear if she let go. "I miss you so much." Sasuke muttered, running his fingers through her hair. Naruto hummed as she fought back tears from seeing the love of her life standing at the door. She had been so devastated when she woke up and realised that Sasuke was not around, she had thought that Sasuke had abandoned her. But seeing Sasuke at the door... That feeling was hard to describe, the relief that flooded her was immense.

Sasuke rocked them back and forth gently, mumbling about how much he loves her. "I love you too Sasuke." Naruto said, looking into Sasuke's eyes to make sure he knows that she means every word she said. Sasuke buried his face into the crook of her neck, "do you know how worried I was when there were reports of villagers heading towards the forest of death and we didn't know where you were until Kurama yelled at me." Sasuke said, making Naruto laugh a little that Kurama had yelled at Sasuke.

"It was not funny!" Sasuke almost sounded like he was whining. "He said they were going to burn you alive and I have never been so scared in my life." Naruto sighed, remembering every detail of that moment. They sat there, holding each other as Sasuke continued, telling her what had happened after they arrived at the forest of death and how long she had been out.

"A week?!" Naruto asked, shocked.
"A week is not a lot considering the extent of your injuries but it felt like forever, I hadn't left your side for just as long, only leaving to the toilet and change into a fresh set of clothes that mum bought over. Shikamaru convinced me to take a shower just before." Naruto scrunched up her nose.
"Hmmm, stinky Sasuke."
Sasuke let out a mock indignant "Hey!" making her chuckle slightly. Sasuke smiled at that, he was grateful that she wasn't as upset as she was before. She could be hiding it for all he knows but what he also knows is that he will be there for her no matter what.