Chapter 35

Sasuke looked over at his beautiful girlfriend sitting there reading the scroll that Fugaku had just found and given to her when she came over for dinner. Mikoto had asked Naruto to come over every day, no matter for which meal but she had made sure to emphasize that the female Uchiha clan head wants her over EVERY DAY. It had been a week since the great nine-tailed fox spoke to them and Naruto seemed quite distant to Sasuke but when Sasuke asked her about it, she denied it saying that Sasuke was imagining things. A small smile made its way onto his face, Mikoto nudged him playfully when she passed and saw how in love her son looked. Sasuke made a face at his mom for doing that, making her laugh on her way to the back of the house to get something.

Naruto had unconsciously distanced herself from Sasuke since the incident; when Kurama and Sasuke confronted her about it, she brushed them off as being delusional and overthinking things. The fox and the Uchiha knew otherwise but neither knew how to approach the situation. It seemed like a touchy subject as Naruto got quite upset and defensive when they asked her about it. Kurama could usually feel her emotions but lately the blond had been blocking him out from her thoughts, he wasn't sure if she had been doing that intentionally but it doesn't look like things are going well as the last time she had blocked him out (subconsciously, of course), she had planned on committing suicide after letting the villagers have one last 'beat the demon' session then removing the seal to free him then delivering a fatal blow to herself and throwing herself off the cliff so that people couldn't find her to heal her or whatever. The demon fox only found out when he noticed she was reading up about seal removal and she had been so tired from it that her mental block slipped, allowing him to see what she had been up to.
It had taken him so much convincing and effort to make sure that her plan doesn't work. Of course, it was a devastating blow to her that her many attempts didn't work but some days, it was peppered with some bits of happiness that the attempts didn't work. For example, when she got together with Sasuke... When Tsunade escaped from paperwork and an angry Shizune to relax at the hot springs with Naruto... When Sasuke kissed her... When Sasuke said I love you...
True, Sasuke brought her a lot of happiness and constantly assured her that he would try his best to make her happy till even beyond death but she is still sure that all her chance at happiness will be ripped away from her and torn to shreds in front of her. She is always overthinking and misinterpreting slight visual and verbal cues from Sasuke that he is now bored of her and will now abandon her for someone else.

Sasuke was now really starting to worry about Naruto, she looked like she was getting skinnier and skinner despite the copious amount of food she had consumed at their house. His mother had noted that Naruto was looking a little too bony to be healthy so she had started making more and more food but the blond also seems to be getting thinner and thinner.

"Sasuke, what is happening to Naruto?" Itachi asked, turning his gaze towards the boy. Sasuke gulped a little at the tone, his brother can be extremely overprotective at times. Seeing as this concerns Naruto, he gets so protective that he would destroy anyone that dares to even give Naruto the creeps. But alas, he can't destroy basically most of the fire nation's villagers and plus Naruto had told him to not do so. He had just returned from a mission that took him away from the village for a few weeks and he comes back to this?! He comes back to the sight of Naruto, the beautiful little cherub, not looking like her usual lean tone self. He comes back to the sight of Naruto looking like she has not been fed for a while, looking sad and distracted when she trains alone in the forest. He had gone looking for her to go get some dangos and catch up but the sight of her in that state made him turn to look for Sasuke instead, thinking that his stupid otouto might have done something to hurt the blond.
"I don't know. I've been asking her. I've been feeding her, mum has been feeding her... but nothing! She says nothing is wrong, however, there is something wrong! Even Kurama told me that he feels that something is wrong but Naruto blocked him out. He said Naruto didn't let him in on her feelings and thoughts." Sasuke explained.
"You spoke to Kurama?"
"The fox likes to link me up to have a chat when Naruto ignores him, usually to disturb me for fun but mostly to discuss Naruto," Sasuke said, grumbling about how the fox likes to distract him when he was trying to train. Itachi frowned, when he was taking care of the blond when she was younger, there has never really been any problems with her getting thinner and thinner as Itachi, Ibiki and Anko and some others would try to bring her food that is as healthy as possible. She never really got skinner, she just stayed at a stable weight as she continues growing. When she gets older and she has begun training, they would bring her more proteins and stuff so that she could grow her muscles better. "So what do we do, Aniki?"
"I don't know Sasuke... I don't know."