The Lake behind the House

Chapter 6: The Lake behind the House

I don’t really remember how I got to the other side of the van, but I suppose the red person moved me there.

Yuck. I don’t really want to think about the red monster carrying me.

What woke me up was the sound of the car talking; it made a BEEP BEEP sound to tell us that we were there. The van doors opened and mommy stood there and frowned.

“Gee, Amber, wereyou sleeping? You’re such a good for nothing lazy daughter. Couldn’t you have cleaned up the place or somethin’?”

I looked around me and saw how dirty the back of the van was.

It had no seats, just empty space, and lots of wrappers and tissue paper everywhere. It also had some of those grey papers that daddy reads, but I can’t touch those, oh no, because daddy told me to never mess with his grey papers.

Maybe I should have cleaned up the place a little; maybe if I did mommy wouldn’t have to be mad at me right now.

But I was so tired, and that red person scared me a lot…

“Anyway, get your stuff and let’s go. We’re here; it’s your grandmamy’s lake house. We’ll be living here for a while; mommy’s got some problems with the old house. Help your daddy with the stuff.” mommy said.

I nodded and grabbed Ivy and the pillowcase. I hurried and dropped them on the porch, and went back to help with some stuff.

Mommy and daddy packed an awful lot of stuff. There was the TV and the telly remote, two big suitcases, a box full of some stuff and the big brown clock.

I wish we left the big brown clock at home, its real mean; it keeps on reminding mommy about the pills every day.

I tried picking up a box, but it was too heavy.

“Shoo, shoo. You can’t pick up that stuff; you’re too small, pumpkin. Now go and put your stuff inside, your room is all the way upstairs, go find it.”

My daddy gave me a kiss on my head and picked up the box. Im sure my daddy loves me, even if he doesn’t show it all the time.

I picked up my stuff and hurried inside the house. Mommy was opening the windows and shaking the couch and couch cushions. There was an awful lot of dust in here.

My grandmamy and grandpapy had a really big house. They both died and flew to the sky when I was a baby, so I don’t know them a lot. But it was real nice of them to give us a house.

I searched for the stairs and found them next to the kitchen. I started to climb them, but I had a really weird feeling that made a shiver go down my back.

I stopped and looked up at the scary stairs.

Some of the floorboards ahead of me creaked, and I held my breath…what was that?

“Is anyone there? Mommy?” I called out.

The creaking stopped; and I ran upstairs as quickly as I could.

It was really ugly upstairs, and it only had one room, all the way down a really long hallway.

Was that MY room?

I slowly walked down the hallway. It was filled with pictures of old people in weird clothes sitting upright like pencils. They didn’t smile at all.

Weird old people.

I didn’t like the pictures though; it felt like they were watching me. I came at the end of the hallway and stopped, because I saw a really pretty lady in a picture.

She was different, and she was smiling.

She looked just like me.

She had long beautiful curly black hair ‘till her back and her eyes were icy blue just like mine. Her skin was white like chalk and she smiled like she was happiest lady on earth.

She looked like she could be my mommy. My mommy didn’t look like me at all; she and daddy didn’t look one bit like me.

I stood on my tippy toes and reached out to touch the picture. It felt soft and smooth, and I smiled.

I then stopped touching it and walked till I reached the end of the hallway. I stood in front of the door for a minute, and then opened it.

I didn’t like my room.

It was really big and it was grey everywhere, boring, ‘cause grey is very ugly.

There was one big bed in the middle and a nightstand. There was also a big closet at the side, with 3 very long mirrors facing my bed. There was a window facing the lake.

I walked to my bed and flomped on it. It was soft, yay, soft beds are good! I didn’t like the covers, but it’s okay ‘cause I don’t always have to sleep with covers, only when the red people visit, ‘cause they can’t get me when Im underneath the covers, covers protect you just like bubbles can.

I then wanted to go play outside, because we’ve been stuck in that van for days and days and days and months Im sure.

My feet are feeling jumpy!

I went downstairs and explored the house a little. It was really big downstairs; there were five bedrooms, the kitchen and some other rooms.

I skipped to the backdoor and opened it. Wow, it’s really nice outside! There were many green trees and lots of grass, yay!

I looked around ‘till I found a stick. I took it and went down to the lake. The lake was really big and it was green and grey, EW, those are ugly colors.

I bet they have fishies in the lake, maybe I can catch some!

I bent down and decided to go in the water a little, it’s so hot…but I didn’t have a bathing suit…oh, but it’s so hot, it’s so hot, a little water and that’s all…

I took of the blue dress and stood by the water. I don’t think anyone is here, only my mommy and my daddy…

“Amber, what are you doing?” mommy yelled from a window in the house.

I turned back and said, “Im going for a swim, mommy, just for a while…” I said, starting to enter the water.

Ooh, it was so cold!

I stayed by the edge of the water, and slashed for a while.

This is fun!

I giggled and giggled and swam for a long time, until I felt something touch the tip of my toes.

What is that? Maybe it’s a fish, I like fishies, wee!

I continued slashing until it brushed against my foot again, and I gasped. It didn’t feel like a fish, it felt very hot and it had long fingers….is it…a hand?

I screamed as the hand pulled my foot and I went underwater…it began pulling me deep, deep under the lake.

“MOMMY, MOMMY!”

The thing kept on pulling, so I tried to get away and pulled away from the water. I swam until the edge of the lake, and stood up, trying to catch my breath.

My spine went tingly again.

There is something in that lake.

***

fan, vote, comment....YEAH! xoxo;maybella