The Boy with the Red Eyes

Chapter 2: The Boy with the Red Eyes

“Amber, you best be up now. It’s time for school!” I heard mommy yell at me from downstairs. Mommy was back, yay, because sometimes mommy doesn’t come back for many days.

When mommy doesn’t come back for a long time, daddy gets mad and he leaves me alone at the house. I really hate it when he and mommy leave, because the red people come to see me then.

Mommy says she has to go and get away from me and daddy sometimes.

I don’t like it when she leaves because I get really hungry, and all I can fix is cereal, and sometimes the cereal runs out so I have to eat some icky beans in a can.

---Three weeks ago---

“Why, mommy? Don’t you love us no more?” I asked her.

“No, baby girl, it’s just that mommy’s life can get really messed up sometimes. So honey, when I come home with Devon, you say nothing, you hear me?”

“Yes, mommy.”

---Present time---

Devon wasn’t really nice to me. He says I am a freak and that no one would ever love me, and that’s why he and mommy were going to leave us and we won’t have anywhere to go.

I had to hurry up and get ready because, oh no, if mommy comes up and I’m not ready, she is gonna get angry with me again.

I was real careful going to the bathroom, in case the red people were hiding and waiting for me. I had to brush my teeth and wash my face with the itchy dish soap.

I also had to pee real badly, but I can’t.

Last time I had to go to the bathroom at night and I ran into the red people. They were hiding in the toilet, and if I sat down, they would pull me into the nasty potty water, EW!

So I have to wait till I get to school to pee, because the red people don’t usually follow me to school.

I put on the red dress I had on yesterday and went downstairs.

Isaid, “Good morning,” but no one answered.

 Mommy was sitting watching the TV and daddy was reading the grey paper.

The grey paper is a giant paper with lots of words and pictures. Daddy reads it every morning and if he doesn’t, he gets angry at me and mommy for no reason.

I hate that grey paper.

I have to make my breakfast every morning by myself now. I usually eat some cereal and milk, but I already checked in the pantry, and there is no more cereal.

I had to fix myself some brown milk and that was it.

“Mommy, Im ready now,” I said, grabbing my purple bag and ran outside. It was very hot outside, that’s good; maybe daddy and mommy will bring me to the ‘park’.

Mommy drove me to the school, but she didn’t say anything during the ride. Our car was very old and dusty, and it made funny noises, like this: PSSHHH OOOOOGGGG CRACK SQUEEE BOOM!

Haha, funny car!

Mommy drops me off and drives away. I wave at her and walk into class. I was a little bit late, but that’s okay, I’m late every day.

I went to sit at my table in the back. My table is very lonely, it sits all by itself in the back of the room. But only this time, my table wasn’t alone; it had another seat by it.

“Everyone, I’d like you to meet Edgar. Edgar is new here in the country, and he doesn’t speak English. Please, everyone say ‘Hi Edgar!’” Mrs. Edmund said.