Chapter 25

Chapter 25

That following morning Ariana woke up in the room she was sharing with Kid. She didn’t stay with Jax for several reasons, for the last two years he had been sharing that room with Christina and she refused to disrespect Marc in his own home ever again. Plus right now she still wasn’t ready to take that step. Sex with Jax wouldn’t just be sex with no strings attached, there was too much between them hanging in the air to be sorted out when she had to peace of mind to finally sort it.

She made up her mind and decided she and Kid were guests and that’s how she was going to keep acting, her relationship with Jax was on hold until their daughter was back in their arms and the danger died down. After that said and done she entertained the thought of getting their own place and what that would be like.

For two years she had fought against letting herself dream of a life and a real future, now all she did was dream and hope. Jax had that affect on her and anytime she tried to think differently he was there changing her mind again, giving her all the hope in the world. They had survived a lot to be together and this latest mountain would soon be climbed too, she believed it.

After showering and getting ready for the day she went to the kitchen in search for the leftover pizza. That seemed to be the choice of food for these werewolves because there was always a box lying around or be that was the perk of having teenagers in and out of the house.

When she reached the kitchen she found a guy seated at the table with as piece of toast in his hand. He froze midway before he could take a bite and his mouth was hanging open. “Ari?”

Another person she didn’t remember and that really bugged her. She took in his features, tall, blonde hair, brown eyes she stared in for a flicker of recognition. She quickly realized he fit the image of the boy she saw in her memory about the Spring Hill apartments. “Charlie?”

He stood from his chair still wearing a look of utter shock. “No one said anything, when…?”

“A week and a half ago I stumbled across Marc and he filled in some blanks. I don’t remember my past too well and I’ve been keeping to myself until its safe.” She wanted to go home and see her mother and sister but it wasn’t safe yet and while she didn’t remember them she couldn’t handle it something bad was to happen because of the mess she was involved in. it wasn’t their fault or even her own how ruthless Hal or Bradley could be.

“I never believed you were dead, never, but I really didn’t think I’d find you here on this morning.” He looked amazed.

“Anything special about this morning?”

“I come back here one day every month to check in and grab some of my stuff and this is the one day I find you. I still live here primarily but I live on campus for school most of the time.” Charlie explained with his eyes still glued to her as if he looked away she might disappear. “Why didn’t Marc and Jax say anything?”

Ariana liked hearing about normal things like college and not attacks and death. “It’s better for everyone if I stay under wraps. The hunters are looking for me and it’s just safer if the people in my life weren’t involved.”

“That explains why Julie hasn’t mentioned anything.”

“Do you two hang out? Are you close?” Ariana moved to take a seat.

“What do you mean?”

She smiled at the fact he looked guilty. “I mean if she hasn’t mentioned anything you’ve talked recently, are you friends? It’s an innocent question.”

“We’re apart of the same pack, of course we’re friends.” His look of guilt turned into dread as Jax enjoyed them in the kitchen.

“Hey Charlie, when you’d get in?” Jax asked, bending to kiss Ariana good morning.

Her heart did a million flutters when he was near, his simplest touch sent her nerve endings into a frenzy of joy and love. Her memories were still pretty scattered but she was sure her body remembered every moment with Jax and relished to know his touches were back in her life. He kissed her like it was common, like the last two years hadn’t passed them by. She liked that.

“Just an hour ago. Are you two back together?” Charlie’s earlier feelings melted away into excitement. He seemed to be a fan of their coupling. “Of course you got back together, it’s you two.”

“What do you mean?” asked Ariana.

“I know first hand how you can’t stay away from each other. You used to talk to me about how you loved Jax and even though you tried to ignore it for your mom’s sake you fell in love with the guy. I was the first person you confided in and that really based our friendship.”

Jax turned and looked at her. “Really?”

She shrugged and confessed. “I don’t have a full deck of cards remember? But judging from what I do remember about how we used to be I could totally see needing to tell someone. All those times we tried to just be friends and I tried to push you away almost turned me into a basket case. All the good it did us seeing how I’m a basket case now.” She could try to pretend to be normal but then the pain would start and she need those pills and those pills always reminded her no matter how hard she tried to pretend she’d  never be normal again.

Marc joined them next and asked Charlie, “You didn’t get my message?” he had wanted his pack members to stay away as much as possible.

“My phone is at the bottom of the sea after a bet gone wrong.”

Jax chuckled. “You really have to stop making bets and losing them or cheating.”

“I won that race fair and square Reed.” Charlie reached and grabbed his forgotten piece of toast.

Ariana caught the look on Marc’s face that said they needed to talk. She got up and followed him out of the kitchen and out to the front porch. She kept her eyes trained for anymore lurking threats, Clive was dead but he worked for the hunters and they had already proved they weren’t above raiding the cabin. “What’s going on?” she asked the werewolf alpha.

“Is this Bradley Galvan?” he held up his phone.

Her blood ran cold at the sight of him. The picture was a little out of focus from being taken from afar but there was no mistaking it. “Yes. Where did you get that?”

“After what Christina mentioned about him hanging around her bakery I spoke to a nomadic wolf residing in town and he mentioned seeing someone hanging around and sent me this picture.”

“Since the attack didn’t go as planned and we tracked them down and ripped half of his rogue crew apart he probably figured he could try scaring Christina again or even kill her as pay back. She did well by leaving town.” Ariana hated the thought of what it’d do to Jax to find his true mate dead, just because their relationship was over didn’t mean he stopped caring for the girl. “This is actually good news. If he’s in town I can use him.”

“Wait a second, from what you and Kid have said this guy is dangerous.”

“Yeah but so am I. Without the mad doctors and reinforcements by his side Bradley isn’t more than a bully. If we can catch him off guard he can tell me where Hal is with my daughter.” She knew she had to do this, there wouldn’t be many more chances.

Marc’s blue eyes softened at the mention of the little girl out there who needed their help. Her safety ranked high than any fear or personal dislike. “What’s the plan?”