Chapter 27

Chapter 27

They dragged him back to the cabin and left him tied up in the basement. It didn’t matter how much training he had, he was human and there was no way he was getting out of that rope.

Ariana nearly sobbed with relief there alone in the kitchen. She had been so worried that Bradley would see right though her plan and flee. Finally this was starting to work in her favor.

Kid followed her steps and hugged her. “You did good.” He knew it hadn’t been easy to confront Bradley like that. Like he had said, the dude was scary.

“You too. Good job with that kick.”

“It feels good seeing him on the other side as the one suffering.” Kid’s green eyes were glassy with the tears he was fighting back. He hadn’t been with the hunters long but those months were enough to leave him with haunting memories he’d never be able to forget.

“Hey.” Ariana cupped her hands around his young face. “You know I will never let anyone hurt you again.” Her heart twisted painfully as she thought of her daughter in the hands of those monsters and what hells she could be suffering.  

He nodded softly and glanced down to the floor. “What happens after this is over? When you have your baby with Jax and Hal can never hurt you again? What happens to me?”

“What do you think happens? You’re stuck with me and I’ve told you that a million times. We’re a family Kid.” She could never abandon him, never.

“But…? You don’t want to start over and have them all to yourself?”

“When did you get so hardheaded? We’re family. Do you understand what that means? We’re together no matter what or who so you have to get used to the idea of having a little sister and all the ways I’m going to be overprotective of the both of you.” She pulled him back into a hug where he left those stubborn tears fall free.

That’s how Jax found them minutes later, crying in each other’s arms. “Is everything ok?” he asked.

Ariana smiled at him. “Everything is great and when this is over it’ll be perfect.” She kissed the top of Kid’s head and let him go. “We good?” Kid nodded and left the room before Jax could see his red face. Guys didn’t want other guys to see them cry, males were a strange thing she thought. She lifted her shirt and dried her cheeks.

“I heard you and Kid talking.” Jax admitted.

“You know he and I are a package deal right? Where I go he goes.”

“I don’t have a problem with that.” He gave her one of those heart fluttering smiles that reached all the way to her toes. “He’s a good kid and I understand why you’re so overprotective of him.”

She let out a sigh of relief, she had doubted Jax would have a problem but for a second there she had been nervous he wouldn’t want Kid in the picture. Not every guy was willing to become a parent of a teenager overnight. “Thanks.”

He took her hand and pulled her to his chest. His arms held her tight as she buried her face against the warmth pouring from his skin. Her eyes fell closed as she let herself swim in the moment, she was safe in his arms right where she belonged.

“I want to remember everything.” She admitted a moment later still wrapped in his arms. “I had been scared before because I thought I couldn’t live up to the past but now I want to remember so this can feel even better.” It was insane to think of everything she and Jax had been through to still end up back in each others arms, literally.

“You’re remembering more and more everyday. It’ll come back.” He stood solid as her rock, his words holding no doubt.

“I’ve remembered a lot of things about us but not one thing that tells me what I ever did to deserve you.”