Chapter 10

WHEN DO THE SURPRISES STOP

“The only people that have such results are twins” doc said.

“Excuse me but I think I would know if I had a twin” I said defensively.

“I knew it” Kevin suddenly whispered.

“Say what now? What do you mean you knew it? Kevin?” I asked turning to him.

“Well when I first saw you, I saw that you looked almost identical to Ben but I never said anything because I thought it was just me and I mean how would that be you know, it's not like Rick and your mom would have done it three years after your mom got married right?” he hurriedly defended himself.

“Rick and my mom have a LOT of explaining to do” I said.

The doc didn’t say a word after that and went to give my brother-literally- my blood. I don't think my mom would stop anytime soon with the surprises. First that she had a boyfriend, second she was with George for all the wrong reasons. Third she was thinking of moving to London and now this.

Kevin tried to console me but then diverted his attention into making me eat something.

“Charlie you have to eat okay, you gave a lot of blood” he tried again dangling a packet of cookies in front of me.

Right now we were seated in the ICU waiting for Ben to wake up and my knee was bouncing at a newfound speed with anxiousness waiting for Rick to come and give me some damn answers. I snatched the packet from Kevin's hand and ripped it open. I took out one and made a big deal of showing him that I was eating it.

“Hey don't sass me okay, it's your parents fault. Not mine.” He said

“I know and I'm pissed off at them. I mean my mom said that she loved this other guy who was willing to take her to London with me but she stuck around and had Luke who is my half-brother. Maybe that’s why George always favored Luke because I was never actually his. Maybe he found out and that’s why he wanted to leave my mom and take Luke but that didn’t work out so well because of the accident.” Tears started to fall remembering everything that George had  put me through.

“Hey, hey, hey, c’mon do you think Bens gonna wanna see you like this. Aren’t you happy you still have a whole brother?” Kevin said kneeling down in front of me and looking all over my face and wiping my tears.

“Huh…..where am I?” Ben said groggily.

We ran to either side and hugged him tight. “Uhmm guys I appreciate the love but I'm suffocating. I laughed and we pulled back. Rick entered at that moment and so did the doc.

I desperately wanted to yell at Rick but before I could say anything the nurse called him to fill out some papers. As soon as he left I filled Ben on everything that that happened whilst he was unconscious.

“So we’re like twins? Like real twin-twins?” he asked for the millionth time.

“Yes dear brother of mine.” I said exasperated.

“Maybe that’s why we got on so well and maybe that’s why I liked Alana the minute I met her. I mean I almost considered her my mom.” He said rationally.

I guess I was the irrational, hyper crazy twin from the two of us. That was interesting. I was pulled out of my thoughts as a very guilty looking Rick came through the door.

“Hi, kids. Oaky Charlie before you freak out. Why don't we go home and we’ll explain everything to you guy?” he said quickly.

“As long as you swear to tell the truth this time”