Chapter Six- Horrible Creatures, I mean Teachers

(Picture of Zach Roerig who plays Charlie Parker)

Chapter Six

Horrible Creatures, I mean Teachers

Even though I had a map explaining where every room in the school was I still managed to be late for homeroom. I knocked on the door expecting a menacing man that was old enough to be my great grandfather but instead to my surprise I was met with a much younger man who looked like he was only in his twenties.

 “You must be our new student” he said friendly.

 “No duh sherlock” I replied a little less friendly. I can’t say that I was shocked to see the look of surprise on his face. By looking at me you would never be able to tell I was rude or a delinquent, to some people I looked like a sweet seventeen year old girl but of course as you already know I’m the complete opposite.

I looked over at my new classmates who were staring at me, well most were glaring at me so they obviously saw the little chat I had with the Parker boys I guess they don’t like it when strangers walk into their ‘kingdom’ and back chat their ‘gods’. I was nearly finished scanning the room when I noticed Ash at the back of the room with a group of guys surrounding him like he’s all that. Just my luck, I thought. 

“Brooklyn why don’t you say a few things about yourself” Mr Marker urged happily. I gave him a sour look as that was the last thing I wanted to do but he was burning a hole into the side of my head with the way he was staring at me so I thought ‘why the hell not'.

“Well, obviously my name is Brooklyn Matthews, New York city is my home and I just turned seventeen years old.” I said.

“Thank you Brooklyn, why don’t you take a seat at the back in front of Ash.” Mr Marker ushered. 

As I walked by desks I could feel their judging eyes and hear their hushed whispers of gossip.

“I heard that she was in juvy.” One girl gossiped clearly staring at me.

“I bet that’s just a rumor,” her friend answered.

“If I were you I might want to shut the hell up because what if those rumors don’t turn out to be just rumors.” I told them putting their tiny minds to rest. I grudgingly took my seat in front of Ash who was busy talking to his friends to even notice me and again I was happy that I didn’t have someones attention. 

When the bell rang for the first lesson everyone around me rushed to the door to try and avoid the traffic in the corridors but of course if everyone has the same idea that isn’t going to happen. I waited until people were out of the door before leaving the classroom.

“Brooklyn, hold on one minute,” Mr Marker said as I was about to walk out.

“Yeah?”

“Unlike other students you will be having one on one lessons with teachers to catch up on work that you’ve missed over the years. You have a lot of work to catch up on, Brooklyn.” Mr Marker emphasized. I knew I had missed a lot of school over the past three years but I didn’t think it was so much that I would have to be taught privately. 

“Do you think I’ll be able to graduate?” I asked out of the blue. He seemed surprised but thought for a minute or too. Although school repulsed me I did wonder sometimes what it would be like to graduate high school. I mean, everyone wants to do at least something with their lives even if they didn't know what it was yet. Who wants to sit around doing something they hate for hours on end?

“To be honest the chances that you will graduate by the age of 18 are very slim but to achieve your goals you’ll have to work extremely hard, harder than any other student here.” I nodded knowing that he was right. It wasn't like I was dumb I was just more street-smart than book-smart.