Chapter Twelve- Holier than thou

Picture of Kellan Lutz who plays Mattie Brown

Chapter Twelve

Holier than thou

Sleep just did not want me. I'd been counting sheep, tossing and turning, trying hard not to think for over four hours. After deciding sleep was not coming soon I dragged myself out of bed and down the stairs. Everybody was supposed to be asleep so I was surprised to see the kitchen light illuminating the hall. It was probably just Landon and Shane again.

I opened the door, he still hadn't seen or heard me. What was he doing up so late anyway?

"What's your excuse?" I asked. He visibly jumped at the sound of my voice and I couldn't help but laugh. He turned around on the stool to face me. The bags under his eyes gave away his tiredness.

"Brooklyn, I didn't expect anyone to be up. My mind decided to go into over think mode as I was trying to sleep, so here I am eating oreo cookies." Mr Parker smiled. I smiled, snatching one from the packet and pushing myself up onto the kitchen top.

"Niether did I." I said, and I realised it was the perfect time to ask the questions on my mind. "How do you know my dad?" I asked. He looked up, surprised by the sudden question.

"He was like my brother in high school. We couldn't have been more different if we tried. I came from a wealthy family and he came from a military family. I knew your mom too actually I dated her for a while, she introduced me to Beth. At the time Beth and Rebecca were best friends. Soon I found myself falling for Beth and Rebecca for your father. Us four over time became pretty much unseperable." He said, enjoying the memories.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I guess life got in the way. At the end of High School your father proposed to your mother before he went to Iraq. She said yes, of course. She waited till the day he came home to find a house, start a family. They went there way and myself and Beth went another. You see Rebecca came from a wealthy family like my own but once they found out her plan to marry your father who was part of a family who got by on the little money they had, they were furious, her parents had inteneded on her to marry someone for their wealth not love. They cut off her money supply and practically disowned her. Somehow Rebecca and Tony found themselves moving to New York into a house their money could pay for. We tried to keep in touch as much as we could but with our jobs and kids it became more difficult each day. So, I was surprised when he called me that day to say the least but I'm glad he asked for our help." He said. Wow, I'd never heard that before. I knew my father joined the military when he was young but I had always assumed he met mom afterwards not before.

"What was he like back then?" I asked.

"Funny, easy going, he had the power to make anyone like him with his charm." Richard said.

"Must of diminished over the years." I said quite quietly.

"I guess the war changed him. He was surrounded by death and killing for years, it doesn't surprise me he wasn't the same afterwards. He always talked about having kids you know. No matter what he says he does love you."