Thorin Is Here

Nell stood back partially hidden by the other dwarves. It wasn't that she feared Thorin or that she didn't want to see him. On the contrary she was trying to figure out how to word her argument. Because if there was one thing she knew it was how stubborn Thorin could be. It would truly take a great argument to convince him to let her come and not order her back to Ered Luin. And she refused to let that happen. So as Bilbo answered the door she kept to the shadows.

Thorin looked up at the grey wizard. “Ah Gandalf I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way twice, wouldn't have found it at all if it wasn't for that mark on the door.” He took his cloak off and hung it up next to the others.

“Mark? There is no mark on that door it was painted a week ago,” Bilbo exclaimed. He wasn't very happy at the prospect of his door being messed with. Not in the least bit. Gandalf let out an exasperated sigh. “There is a mark I put it there myself, now let me introduce the leader of our company...Thorin Oakenshield.” He looked to the dwarf he was introducing.

Nell could see the scrutinizing look Thorin gave Bilbo from where she stood. “So this is the hobbit.” He circled around him looking him up and down. “Tell me Mr. Baggins have you done much fighting?” Nell rolled her eyes that was a pointless question. “Pardon?” asked Bilbo. “Axe or sword? What's your weapon of choice?” Thorin came to stand in front of Bilbo and looked down at him.

“Well I do have some skills at conkers if you must know, but...I fail to see why that's relevant.” Bilbo had started out so strong in his answer and then just deflated. “I figured as much. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar.” Thorin looked to the company with a small smile causing them all to laugh. All, but Nell that is. She bristled up as he teased poor Bilbo. No she didn't think he was fit to fight alongside them nor did she think he could defend himself, but after all the dirty looks and snide comments people had sent toward them she felt the hobbit deserved better treatment.

Everyone moved back to the table they had been eating at previously. Nell took her spot between Fili and Kili and looked to Thorin. So far he hadn't noticed she was there, which she was grateful for as she hadn't exactly figured out what to say to him. “What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?” asked Balin. Thorin nodded his head. “Aye convoys from all seven kingdoms,” he replied. “And what did the dwarves of the Iron Hills say? Is Dain with us?” Dwalin questioned.

Thorin let out a heavy sigh. “They will not come. They say this quest is ours and ours alone.” Nell felt her shoulders slump; she had hoped that their kin would join them. “You're going on a quest?” The Hobbit spoke up. This prompted Gandalf to ask for more light as he pulled out a map and unfolded it. “The lonely mountain,” Bilbo said as he looked over the map. Gloin then spoke up saying his brother Oin had read the portents. It was now time for the reign of the beast to end.

Of course when Bilbo asked what beast Bofur had to make a show of it. “That would be a reference to Smaug the Terrible, chiefest and greatest calamity of our age. Airborne firebreather, teeth like razors, claws like meat hooks. Extremely fond of precious metals.” All of this caused Nell to roll her eyes. They weren't supposed to be scaring Bilbo. They were supposed to be convincing him to come with them.

“Yes I know what a dragon is.” Bilbo could be very sassy when he wanted, causing Nell to smile. She was beginning to like the hobbit quite a bit, but then little Ori spoke up. He was such a sweet little thing and Nell loved him like a little brother despite him being older than her, but he really had no place to talk of not being afraid or shoving dwarvish iron anywhere; he didn't even have a weapon. All he had was a slingshot.

Of course in the next moment Nell was finally pointed out to Thorin. “The task would be difficult enough with an army behind us, but we number just fourteen and not fourteen of the best nor brightest.” While everyone else began making comments about not being dim, Thorin scanned the group and when his eyes landed on her she could see the anger burning in them, the promise that they would speak momentarily. It was very clear in those dark blue depths that he wasn't happy with Nell for being there. A sigh left her, but she kept her head held high. If she backed down now, showed any amount of weakness she knew she would be going home.

Fili spoke up taking the attention of his wife, his voice full of pride. “We may be few in number, but we're fighters, all of us to the last dwarf.” He slammed his hand down on the table. “And you forget we have a wizard in our company, Gandalf will have killed hundreds of dragons in his time,” Kili added to his brothers argument. Nell looked to the wizard in question and seeing the look on his face wasn't so sure about that statement. Of course this only started another argument as everyone tried to find out the number of dragons he had killed. Nell assumed it was zero.

Thorin stopped the arguing standing up and yelling, “Shazra.” His tone was commanding and all the dwarves stopped yelling. “If we have read these signs, do you not think others will have read them too? Rumors have began to spread. The dragon Smaug has not been seen for 60 years. Eyes look east to the mountain, assessing, wondering, weighing the risk. Perhaps the vast wealth of our people now lies unprotected. Do we sit back while others claim what is rightfully ours? Or do we seize this chance to take back Erebor? Du bekar, du bekar.” His speech was moving. Nell felt pride swell within her and the urge to fight reared its head. She could not let Thorin send her back, not now.

A little while later after Bilbo had passed out thanks to Bofur talking about death by Smaug and declined being their burglar, Thorin found Nell. He had already spoken to Balin about the quest and now he was ready to tear into Nell. “Just what in Durin's name do you think you are doing? Why aren't you back in Ered Luin? I can't believe Fili and Kili let you come here."   His voice was filled with anger. "This quest is too dangerous you shouldn't be here.” He was beyond furious that his nephews hadn't stopped her from coming. “You really think they didn't try to stop me? Trust me they did, but as you can see it didn't work,” Nell informed him. Thorin narrowed his eyes. “They clearly didn't try hard enough.” He felt they should have done more to stop her. “I have just as much right to help take back that mountain as any dwarf here,” She replied.

Thorin stepped closer to her trying to to intimidate her with his size and his status. Neither would work. She was used to people towering over her and having grown up around Thorin, plus being married to princes his status didn't bother her either. “No you do not. You are a princess. You're place is at home with Dis waiting on word from us. Not being reckless, acting fearless, trying to join a quest you have no business joining.” Thorin's tone had dropped, but his voice had somehow gotten louder. He was not pleased with how she kept arguing with him.

A small snarl left Nell. “I maybe a princess, but I am a warrior first Thorin and you know this. You helped train me along with Dwalin,” her voice turned soft, “And I'm not fearless Thorin. I am very much afraid, but warriors...heroes they aren't fearless. They're brave. Bravery requires fear, and fear is born of loving something enough that its loss would break you.” She looked to her husbands who were talking and laughing quietly together. “I can't lose them Thorin. I can't sit back and wait not knowing if they are alive or dead, not knowing if you are alive or dead. The three of you hold my heart, my husbands, my loves, the other halves to my soul and you the father I needed,” Nell’s voice cracked as she spoke.  She wasn't even looking to be the hero in stories told by others. Nell just wanted to be the hero of her own story, her husbands’ story if need be, and one day her children’s stories.

A heavy sigh left Thorin. Was he happy with her coming? Not at all. He would never be happy with the idea of her being in danger, but even he couldn't deny she had a point. He had trained her and she was a warrior. It would be wrong to make her sit at home and wonder if her husbands lived. And if they died while she could have done something to prevent it, he knew that would break her even more. “Fine you can come, but you stick with them or me or Dwalin do you understand?” He asked. Nell threw her arms around him in a tight hug. “Thank you, Thorin.” Relief flooded through her the moment he agreed. “I said do you understand?” He asked again. She nodded her head again. “I understand,” She replied.