Social Selfies

Is it ok to take '#selfies' for social media?

As Instagram fast becomes one of the top social media networking sites, we find ourselves increasingly confronted with the relentless stream of #selfies on our feeds and walls.

Whichever way you look at it, whatever type of person we are, whatever our background, we all love our Selfies...and let's face it., we have all taken at least one, even if just to see if there really is something in your eye.

From internet bloggers to celebrity beauties to your average builders. Even the Royals are partial to the odd self portrait (I'm pretty sure you could class this as an early form if the selfie).

Why the vain fascination in admiring and capturing our personal beauty to share with the world? We crave attention. We crave acceptance. We crave the sense of belonging.

Why the popularity? It's a simple case of if you can't beat them, join them.

Too much time on our hands. Boredom. No matter if it's an office, school or hospital people will take them when bored.

But why the sudden rise?

It was a dormant trend. Waiting to be noticed and used to its full advantage. We have always been vain as a species but within our own circles. However with thanks to the internet and social media it is now unbelievably easy to upload our faces and share them with the world.

Living in this era of monkey see, monkey do, it's hard to get away from selfies even if you try. With celebrities left, right and centre joining in the selfie fun. Sharing the trend with the millions they influence. Pretty much #selfie has had priceless amounts of celebrity endorsements for FREE!

Will it be another dying trend?

No. As the industry grows it will continue to fuel the trends, creating its own source of income. It may die down. But it will never die out. The world has become too small of a place and we are too vain a species for that.